B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EpDis: War Without End Part Two (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=8745)

hypatia February 16th 15 02:28

Re: EpDis: War Without End Part Two

I hope you enjoy Crusade. I did, though wished it could have lived long enough to reveal more of its secrets.

Lennier's Tears February 16th 15 03:29

I'm a little nervous about it to be honest. After what happened with the Lost Tales (I was disappointed), I'm not too willing to get my hopes up. Whatever happens, you'll have front row seats :p

hypatia February 17th 15 02:09

It's all a matter of taste. I wasn't a huge fan of the Lost Tales, either, actually.

But maybe a reboot gives a better chance at hitting a more relevant tone, these days. And a new cast (with let's say "classic appearances") wouldn't hurt the energy level, either.

But, if Valen's final fate was brought in only to give Sinclair an excellent write-off in the original series, will it be kept in a reboot? To me, it wouldn't be Babylon 5 without it.

Both Star Trek and Doctor Who have enjoyed excellent successes after their reboots. I do hope B5 fares as well. :bolian:

Lennier's Tears February 17th 15 02:25

I agree that a reboot could be all kinds of amazing! And it could make it so that I could have obsessive Babylon 5 discussions with random people on the street. Right now that only happens when I am wearing a Star Trek shirt (I have quite a few Star Trek shirts and socks and other things, because they are so easy to get. I'd buy ALL the B5 stuff if it was available because I love it far more than Star Trek, even if I DO love Star Trek). But, I'll still be nervous about it because I'd be so sad if it sucked.

hypatia February 18th 15 01:20

:rommie:

Hopefully, a new generation of B5 fans wouldn't get caught up in the stupid politics of fan fighting. :bolian:

Lennier's Tears February 18th 15 01:55

I kind of totally missed out on that. I mean I've heard people say stuff like "Babylon 5? Isn't that the DS9 ripoff one?", but I've never witnessed the actual fighting I've seen described in some threads here. I wasn't in the US when B5 first aired, maybe that has something to do with it. Or, maybe I've just always been surrounded by B5 fans more than Star Trek fans.

Incidentally, what's with the Star Trek smilies? :rommie: I guess those are easier to get than B5 ones, also :p

hypatia February 20th 15 02:47

Antony, the owner and designer of this board, is actually a very active Star Trek fan.

And undoubtedly, the smilies would be easier to find for Star Trek.

Lennier's Tears February 20th 15 16:16

Makes sense :)

I just found this :vorlon: on the expanded smiley sheet, too :D

Springer February 23rd 15 18:56

I love Star Trek (well, the original series and TNG). I love B5. I never understood why people couldn't just like both. But yeah, I remember the downright hatred from some people. I wasn't online back then but I could pick up on it in the pages of the genre magazines and at cons.

Mororless March 15th 15 17:04

I can understand the ill feeling from JMS but personally my view was that it was great having two side by side stories with a decent arc to them. DS9 took awhile to get going and maybe dragged on a bit too long but overall was probably my favourite Trek series. WWE is a pretty good example of the advantage of B5 though when it came to having a really well planned arc that was revelatory without feeling cheap or predictable.

Its interesting I would say that whilst you could argue that whilst the main plot of WWE feels a little bit side trackish its actually quite finely placed in the series. The episode afterwards we get the new Vorlon ambassador that hints at there less than pure motives and you could argue not having Kosh present helps sell the mystery of the plot.