B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EpDis: Messages From Earth (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=8621)

vacantlook November 10th 05 15:32

EpDis: Messages From Earth

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for Messages From Earth
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for Messages From Earth

vacantlook November 10th 05 15:36

Re: EpDis: Messages From Earth

I love the meeting with Dr Kirkish. Marcus leading her to the meeting in slow motion with the wardrum music going is rather tense to me. The way that she, now in a position to tell someone important what she saw regarding the Shadows, but how she almost cracks before being able to get any words out is excellently performed. And the whole telling of the story of the Shadow ship on Mars is rather unsettling; it's perfect for the Shadows.

KoshFan November 11th 05 01:23

I remember seeing this ep for the first time... the ominous Shadow music playing over the excavation on Mars... and I was thinking, "They were on Mars. They were that close."

Just seeing the name Syria Planum -- even in a totally non-B5 context -- still gives me shivers.

RW7427 November 11th 05 04:56

I love this ep. It's totally awesome! One of the best of season 3. :cool:

Shaal Mayan November 11th 05 14:24

Excellant the beginning of the start of the very best b5 episodes the slow march to the separation to the EA.Seeing the shadows over mars definate *shivers*

Springer November 11th 05 14:45

One of my favourite episodes from Season 3. The Shadow ship on Mars is creepy as hell, I like the tie-in with the DC comics, and the battle at the end is exciting. Definite A.

Elric November 16th 05 12:44

This was very nearly an A for me, but I'm reserving the A votes for the real "wow factor" episodes. If I could, I would give it a B+++.

A great ep, and is part of the lead up to Shattered Dreams. I think this is the point where B5 really starts to shine (even more so than certain eps from season 2).

When I first watched B5, I had seen a few eps from earlier seasons, but this was where I really started to get hooked.

RW7427 November 16th 05 14:37

I love the stuff with Dr. Kirkish and the Shadow ships on Mars and Ganymede. :cool:

darth_librarian November 16th 05 15:12

The slightly naff trek photon torpedo acting aside (they never quite managed it as well as the trek team) this was great, really great. Cool effects and a whole Lovecraftian/ Frankenstein look at the shadow ships. Forms part of an amazing three episode story, probably may favourite bit of season three (all of which is pretty amazing...)

Estelyn September 14th 10 22:00

This episode is chockful of interesting stuff! I like seeing the direction G'Kar is taking, and his comments about no distractions and the benefit of silence are great.

I too took note of the martial drums in several scenes - we heard them an episode earlier in a humorous context (Ivanova bringing "back" the roses to Marcus), now they feel ominous in the scene with Dr. Kirkish and when Sheridan and Delenn leave the station for what could have been their last fight.

Some interesting camera and light work - G'Kar's head moving back into the shadow when Garibaldi's visit ends, the slow motion camera going past each member of the conspiracy when Dr. Kirkish is there, to mention only a couple.

The Night Watch liason scares me - he really believes in what EarthGov is doing, and that kind of self-righteous person is extremely difficult to handle. When he says that watching people on the security cameras is feeling like God, we can see some of the motivation that drives him.

In contrast, Zack's increasing discomfort with NightWatch and its policies is becoming very obvious. Lots of arc-relevant elements in this episode!