B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EpDis: Voices Of Authority (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=8550)

vacantlook October 17th 05 10:56

EpDis: Voices Of Authority

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for Voices Of Authority
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for Voices Of Authority

aajay October 17th 05 17:39

Re: EpDis: Voices Of Authority

One of my favorites. So many quotable lines..."I like you, you're trouble".."you're about to go where many men have gone before"...
Big A.

Springer October 17th 05 20:46

I find this episode to be surprisingly cheesy. The Nightwatch story is entertaining, with the politcal officer, and you're right, there are some good lines (Sheridan: It must be colder in here than I thought!} but there are some bad lines too, like "Zog!" Its the portrayal of the First Ones I like the least about this episode. Usually B5 is clever, intelligent and full of a sense of wonder, but on this rare occasion the scene with Ivanova and the First Ones seems a bit stupid to me. Its played for laughs, which doesn't work, and I was looking for that sense of wonder. I want to give it a B, because this episode is almost asking to be liked, but it doesn;t quite gel for me. But maybe that's just me. So I'll give it a C.

And Draal has to be the most annoying charcter in B5.

RW7427 October 18th 05 02:39

Quote:

One of my favorites. So many quotable lines..."I like you, you're trouble".."you're about to go where many men have gone before"...
Big A.

Yeah, that's great. :lol:

KoshFan October 18th 05 04:08

A solid B+.

"Who knew they were French?"

vacantlook October 18th 05 04:23

Quote:

"Who knew they were French?"

That's one that popped into my head earlier too. :D

GaribaldisHair October 18th 05 12:47

We've already had the moment of "Wow" with those particular first ones, when they appeared in S1 and almost took out Sakai's ship (I forget which ep it was).

Here we see how the White Star crew react to their presence and, let's face it, put Marcus and Ivanova into that sort of situation and they are going to react in those ways. Rather than necessarily being "played for laughs" I thought the characters reacted in pretty much exactly the way I would have expected.

Solid B from me.

Sindatur October 18th 05 15:12

Yea, that's kinda the way I've always seen it too, you can't really blame the writer for the cheeze, you have to blame the characters. The scene called for those two characters, so that's what you ended up with. Writing it differently, wouldn't have been as true to the characters, you would have to use different characters, if you wanted to change the writing.

RW7427 October 18th 05 17:01

Yeah, and that Musante chick is pretty cheezy. :lol:

aajay October 18th 05 19:42

Forgot about the "who knew they were French" comment...priceless. Cheesey? Not in my opinion...just 2 characters acting "nervously".