B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EpDis: All Alone In The Night (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=8136)

vacantlook June 14th 05 04:25

EpDis: All Alone In The Night

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for All Alone In The Night
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for All Alone In The Night

Jade Jaguar June 14th 05 05:35

Re: EpDis: All Alone In The Night

Call me stingy with the A's, and you'd be right, but I only gave this fine ep a B, since JMS has done many even better. It has Ta'Lon, a surrealistic dream sequence, and more, that I do like a lot. I think my greatest dissapointment from this ep is that I expected Ta'Lon to become a regular character, seen often at Sheridan's side, and saving him more than once. I loved the idea of Sheridan with a Narn samurai bodyguard, which it promised, but the following eps didn't deliver.

Springer June 14th 05 11:05

Yeah, it would have been cool if Ta'Lon had actually done something as Sheridan's bodyguard, but that didn't come about until the third season anyway. I don't think any of us expected to see Ta'Lon again after this episode. I like how B5 develops characters from seemingly insignificant beginnings- just look at Corwin and Zack.

I like this episode, although the sets on the Streib's spaceship look extremely cheap, but nevermind. It had lots of action and mystery, and a revelation at the end. I'd probably rate it somewhere between C+ and B-, so being charitable I'll give it a B.

I still don't completely understand Sheridan's dream though, and I thought the explanation of it in Shadow Dancing seemed a bit rushed. Maybe its meant to remain vague, like most dreams usually are. One part of the dream that puzzles me is the part with Sheridan in the Psi Corps uniform. Now, in Shadow Dancing Ivanova reckoned that it was because they were working with Bester. But, they worked with Bester for what?- the entirety of two whole episodes, and even then Bester was working against the B5 crew in secret in Epiphanies (using Garibaldi). So to me that part of the dream sequence doesn't fit. Does anybody else have any other suggestions?

deaded June 14th 05 12:02

Well yeah, it's not a "Comming of Shadows," but there is lots of important stuff here. The Hague stuff is crucial and really a turning point. It changes the shape of everything that comes after it. I liked Ta'Lon but I felt that Sheridan's part was over acted and forced. I'm still going to give it an A for it's story and importance, but if I had to rate it from one to 110 I'd probably put it about 34th. But hey, this IS my favorite TV show of all time we're talking about, so there are a lot of 'A's to go around.

GKarsEye June 14th 05 15:16

This ep gets props for propelling various plot lines forward.

Delenn getting kicked off the council will be the act that finally molds her into the lone warrior/prophetess (a personal favorite and undervalued character arc). This will put her in the classic hero's position of being forced to adjust, adapt and become stronger than she was before.

Sheridan in the psi-cop uniform in the dream is fine with me- yes, they would work with Bester. Just because Bester was spying on them doesn't mean they still wouldn't have a brief alliance. If Sheridan was told in a dream that he was in conflict with Bester or the Psi-Corps then it would be meaningless- he expects that.

Shaal Mayan June 14th 05 16:30

C nothing special about this one .

KoshFan June 14th 05 17:13

I love the fact that Hague's running around this episode for no apparent reason, and then in the last five minutes of the show you finally realize why he's there... and why Sheridan is on B5 at all... and it's such a delightful twist. B5 didn't have many of those last-second left turns, and while I got used to them on Alias, it's a lovely device here.

This ep also underscores the connection between Sheridan and the Agamemnon.

deaded June 17th 05 11:35

Quote:

I love the fact that Hague's running around this episode for no apparent reason, and then in the last five minutes of the show you finally realize why he's there... and why Sheridan is on B5 at all... and it's such a delightful twist. B5 didn't have many of those last-second left turns, and while I got used to them on Alias, it's a lovely device here.

Yes exactly! NCIS did that a lot too.

GaribaldisHair June 18th 05 14:43

I actually prefer B5's approach to these last-second left turns. If you use them too often, the audience comes to expect them and they lose their power. If you use them sparingly, you have more chance of catching your audience off-guard ... which is presumably part of the reason they are there.

This is a good ep but not one of the top tier - probably falls between a B and a C, so, erring of the side of gernerosity, I voted B!

B5obsessive June 18th 05 20:23

Really like the end scene on this one. C'mon, admit it, it's OK to be sad, how many of us mentally raised a glass and echoed Susan's "Wherever this goes, however this ends,we're with you"? I know I did. Love that bit, as a person who has a quirky tendency to live through events with the characters, it's a proud, sit-up-straight kinda moment. (Incredibly sad and proud of it, that's me. :)) And as the credits roll, you can practically hear the engine move up a gear.........

Chilli June 24th 05 00:32

Have to give it a B I think, just for Sheridan's "What could go wrong?" before heading out on a mission he was not supposed to head out on .. hello? You're on a TV show? :rolleyes: .. *NEVER* say "what could go wrong" :rolleyes:

Damn though .. even the episodes of Season 2 that I wouldn't count to my favorites just seem great in retrospective though. I've been forgetting why I devoted myself to B5 like I did lately.

RW7427 June 24th 05 00:47

Quote:

hello? You're on a TV show? .. *NEVER* say "what could go wrong"

Indeed. I have similar thoughts every time I watch that part. ;)

Estelyn August 23rd 10 22:22

I too went "d'oh!" at the "What could go wrong" line - that was almost *too* obvious a clue! The abduction and fights with others on an alien ship seems a bit Trek-y, including the comment wondering if it was for their entertainment. I did like Sheridan's line: "The first obligation of a prisoner is to escape." That reminds me strongly of Tolkien's passionate argument for "escapist" literature in his essay "On Fairy-Stories".

The Delenn story arc is very interesting and important at this point, as is Lennier's loyalty to her. There's also the conflict with Neroon, that continues to escalate.

There's a very thoughtful moment near the end, where Sheridan asks, "Why am I still alive and he's not?" That is the classic dilemma facing survivors, an element of guilt that haunts them.

Kosh's repeated "always been here" lines add to the general feeling of mystery and building tension.

JoeD80 August 24th 10 22:42

Part of something that Joe said early on was that he wanted good sci-fi *and* good television, which includes building on those television cliches I think. Since a plot was going to unfold there anyway, why not point to it with flashing neon.