B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EpDis: Points Of Departure (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=7726)

vacantlook March 23rd 05 20:41

EpDis: Points Of Departure

Beginning season two!

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for Points Of Departure
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for Points Of Departure

Shaal Mayan March 23rd 05 20:56

Re: EpDis: Points Of Departure

I give this one a B .Good opener for the 2 second season establishes the minbari hatred of Sheridan .

vacantlook March 23rd 05 20:59

One thing that really annoys me about the episode is how many times characters repeat the "honor and death" bit. It was too repetative to me in attempts to illuminate Sheridan's thought process in figuring things out. I would have much prefered it done more subtle.

RMcD March 24th 05 00:00

Nah, I don't like the Minbari-centric episodes much.

And this one quite sensibly doesn't resolve any of the cliffhangers from Chrysalis and just focuses on introducing Sheridan. But I think the whole 'Sheridan is not Sinclair because the Minbari hate him' thing is a bit overdone. And his fetish for oranges and showing his teeth too. Still, it's amazing how much his character changes over the years.

Also, this episode commits the cardinal sin (in my book) of going through all the buildup to a battle that then doesn't happen, or happens offscreen, or in your imagination. That used to be DS9's favourite budget-saving trick..

This may be Jerry Doyle's favourite episode :) but not mine.. I'd still give it a C, though.

vacantlook March 25th 05 00:34

Two things I did quite like in this episode:

One, I liked Lennier's part. He got to have several different emtional states, and he got to bust out the revelation of why the Minbari surrendered at the Battle of the Line, which is something quite significant for a minor main character, which he had more or less been to that point.

Two, I liked Hedronn's conversation with Sheridan in Sheridan's office. "I would tell you -- if I recognized your authority." Burnt! I think I've enjoyed Robin Sachs in every alien role he's playe don Babylon 5.

RW7427 March 25th 05 16:02

I gave it a C because I don't care for the actress that plays Sheridan's sister. :lol:

B5obsessive March 25th 05 19:06

Like. Like lots. Some great setup for John, showing his strengths in tactics and reasoning. His "Captain Smiley" thing is important too, as that grin is going to get *well and truly* knocked off over the next 4 years. :devil: You must admit, Johnny's in for a rough ride! We are also very cleverly put in the same place as the crew, as this new guy is sprung on us all of a sudden, and we neither know him or if we can trust him. And for some weird reason, those
"A coccoon? Like a moth or a butterfly?"
"Yes sir. 'Bout yay high."
"Interesting pace you have here."
lines just crack me up every time! :lol:

RMcD March 26th 05 11:28

Quote:

I gave it a C because I don't care for the actress that plays Sheridan's sister. :lol:

That's okay then, cause she's in Revelations! :D

KoshFan March 26th 05 15:09

A few excellent lines, such as the aforementioned one about the cocoon and the "paying off karma at a vastly accelerated rate" one.

Personally I really enjoy Sheridan, and so even though he seems a bit of a puppydog with his smiling and oranges, you also see his resourcefulness, his courage, and his introspection here. And frankly it's just a bit of a comfort to have him aboard -- he's the Captain!

RW7427 March 27th 05 17:45

Quote:

Quote:

That's okay then, cause she's in Revelations! :D

Oh yeah. **Hits self in the head.** I knew that! :o :lol: