B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EpDis: Babylon Squared (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=7602)

vacantlook February 26th 05 20:17

EpDis: Babylon Squared

First EpDis on the updated board! :D

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for Babylon Squared
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for Babylon Squared

vacantlook February 26th 05 20:20

Re: EpDis: Babylon Squared

"Babylon Squared" is definitely an A episode for me. It gave us some, but no where near all, information on the only previously referenced Babylon 4. We got introduced to the ever lovely Zathras! And we got the weird mystery of who is "The One."

Shaal Mayan February 26th 05 21:53

A from me good in all respects setting up the mystery of the one and minbari prophecy .

FreeBaGeL February 27th 05 02:24

The first A I've given thus far.

KoshFan February 27th 05 16:05

Can you say "foreshadowing?"

The only disappointing parts about this episode are the acting by the B4 station commander and the fact that BSquared doesn't match perfectly with War Without End.

Quite the strong episode, with all kinds of mysteries and stuff going on, character development for Sinclair and Garibaldi and Delenn, some interesting new science stuff, and so forth.

vacantlook February 27th 05 17:18

Yeah, Major Krantz, like many guest characters on the show in season one, often goes quite a bit over the top.

RMcD February 27th 05 22:24

I do wonder exactly to what extent the other half of this arc actually changed after Michael O' Hare left. Presumably what we're really seeing in the brief scene when they touch are husband and wife Sinclair and Delenn saying their final tearful goodbyes before he rides back into the past to fulfil his ineluctable destiny as Valen... And then Delenn gets up every morning before dawn to watch the sun come up.. (this being the same alternate universe in which a determined Sinclair crashes the nukes into Z'ha'dum at the end of Season 3 as a Shadow-possessed Catherine Sakai advances slowly towards him..)

Babylon Squared is a good solid A for being completely off the wall, and because the mere act of making an episode like this demonstrated such incredible faith in the series' future (or on the other hand, perhaps JMS just never seriously believed they'd end up having to make the other half :))..

Alluveal February 27th 05 22:27

It's story ground-work at its best. W/o it, we wouldn't have our beloved the War Without End (Pt 1 and 2.)

deaded February 28th 05 00:32

Babylon Squared is a lynch-pin (sp?) in the B5 series. Definitely in my top 20 episodes.

KoshFan February 28th 05 01:01

Ah, but was the Delenn/Sinclair romance ever scripted for Sinclair? The "marriage" scene is notoriously a red herring.

And I do not think Delenn could have loved Sinclair as deeply as she loved Sheridan. She would always be a little too much involved in seeing to Sinclair's destiny, whereas she developed her friendship with Sheridan as one ally to another, not as an agent of prophecy.