B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EpDis: Signs And Portents (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=7156)

JoeD80 October 20th 12 20:08

Re: EpDis: Signs And Portents

The outline says the the Warrior Caste was responsible for the station's destruction. But also the outline states that all the races were after them, so perhaps they had all come to Babylon 5 to destroy it. The Narns end up being one of the few allies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Series Brief/season five
the return of G'Kar, who reveals Londo's complicity and the Shadowmen intervention
the Minbari military caste...stage a coup and take control from the Grey Council.
Londo assumes control of Babylon 5's sector of space in the name of the Centauri Republic.
a Vorlon ship...is destroyed by the Shadowmen with Londo's help...Earth is blamed.
Season Five ends with an assault on, and the destruction of Babylon 5 by the Minbari.
[Sinclair and Delenn] are now wanted by everyone in the galaxy, it would seem; by Earth...by the ruling Minbari warrior caste...to some extent by Londo and the Centauri...and by the Vorlons...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Series Brief/Babylon Prime
Sinclair, Delenn, their infant, Garibaldi, and a Narn...make their way to a meeting with the Grey Council.

Orion October 20th 12 22:54

Hmm. I'm glad it didn't go that route. I had always thought that if O'hare had stayed, that the end of the series would've been the War Without End eps, thus closing his character arc at the end.

I understand from what you wrote, Vacantlook, why the Minbari warrior caste went after them. I wonder what would have occurred to cause the rest of the civs to be after them.
Joe, I think you're idea that they were all there to destroy B5 is right on. For the actual ending when B5 was decommisioned, ships from all the races were there to see it. So, JMS probably kept that part in the actual ending.

Thanks for the insight.

Psi Cop October 21st 12 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion (Post 402137)
Hmm. I'm glad it didn't go that route. I had always thought that if O'hare had stayed, that the end of the series would've been the War Without End eps, thus closing his character arc at the end.

I understand from what you wrote, Vacantlook, why the Minbari warrior caste went after them. I wonder what would have occurred to cause the rest of the civs to be after them.
Joe, I think you're idea that they were all there to destroy B5 is right on. For the actual ending when B5 was decommisioned, ships from all the races were there to see it. So, JMS probably kept that part in the actual ending.

Thanks for the insight.

I agree that if Sinclair had remained the final episodes would have been WWE. It's amazing to see how the original story arc evolved particularly regarding actors leaving the show. I did however feel that some of the transition from Sinclair to Sheridan was a bit awkward, Sheridan taking on some of the arc clearly meant for Sinclair (both had wives involved in exploration/romantic involvement with Delenn). The same for Lyta and Talia (the connection with the Vorlons for example).

JoeD80 October 21st 12 17:18

Quote:

I had always thought that if O'hare had stayed, that the end of the series would've been the War Without End eps, thus closing his character arc at the end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psi Cop (Post 402149)
I agree that if Sinclair had remained the final episodes would have been WWE.

According to the outline, the Babylon 4 trip would have been the beginning of the sequel series, not the end of the Babylon 5 story. Sinclair was there to the end of the sequel as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psi Cop (Post 402149)
Sheridan taking on some of the arc clearly meant for Sinclair (both had wives involved in exploration/romantic involvement with Delenn).

On the Anna/Catherine both being explorers thing, I think it more likely Carolyn Sykes -> Catherine Sakai -> Carolyn Sanderson. According to the outline, Sakai was to have her memory erased in season three, which would have happened if she was taken aboard one of the Shadow ships. Catherine being on board the Icarus would not have made sense since Morden and the Shadows were already around in "Signs and Portents" and Sakai certainly doesn't seem to be under Shadow influence during the first season.

vacantlook October 23rd 12 14:38

Quote:

I had always thought that if O'hare had stayed, that the end of the series would've been the War Without End eps, thus closing his character arc at the end.

jms's original plan would've had the stealing of B4 from the past be the beginning of a spinoff series, and instead of B4 being taken into the past it would've gone into the future to be used as a moving (B4 had engines) base after B5's destruction. In that original plan, Sinclair never was Valen; according that original outline jms wrote, that spinoff series would have ended with Sinclair living out the rest of his life alone on some planet somewhere fishing.

Jan October 23rd 12 15:43

One of the things I liked about the outline was that it seemed that Delenn remained more alien than we saw in the actual series.

Teep Trick October 23rd 12 23:50

Wow, its amazing how, even with a well-outlined story, how major changes can take place, with actors leaving, special effects team changes, all kinds of influences... is that outline here on the website, or do you have links to it you can post?

Jan October 24th 12 03:18

No, it was included in the 15th volume of the B5 scriptbooks, given to those who'd bought the entire 14-volume set. There's a synopsis around someplace but I don't know where.

Jan

Psi Cop October 25th 12 02:06

I don't get the title of the is poll. I'm assuming it means rating the episode. What does it mean by "favorite recurring character?" :confused:

JoeD80 October 25th 12 20:13

^
IIRC, the database got a little glitched awhile back, so that title came from a different thread.