B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EpDis: Infection (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=6760)

Urban Roy April 2nd 09 13:15

Re: EpDis: Infection

I felt that this episode was something of step back, mostly to do with the quality of the production rather than the story which was fine if a little bland. I thought it was a nice touch to pick on Sinclair always putting himself on the line. It have been niggling at me and it was very well explained.

As always a pleasure to see Iliya Kuryakin.

I also thought that it was slightly strange that Babylon 5 was only two years old (although given that it was 10 years since the end of the Minbari war and there were four Babylons before it that makes sense). It does not feel like two years is long enough for a place to develop the seedy corners and the underworld that Babylon 5 has. It feels like an underbelly develops, it doesn't just appear fully developed. Could just be me I guess.

vacantlook April 2nd 09 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Roy (Post 339445)
I felt that this episode was something of step back, mostly to do with the quality of the production....

Then it shouldn't surprise you to learn that "Infection" was the first episode filmed, though it was aired forth. Season one did quite a bit of that: filming an episode in a different order than it was broadcast. It often, but not always, had to do with giving the special effects team enough time to produce the CGI of the episode. Other times it was just in shuffling episodes around a bit to try to make the flow of the story throughout the season better. After season one, there was very very little of this sort of shuffling as the episodes be come less stand-alone than in season one.

Cell April 2nd 09 20:32

Quote:

It does not feel like two years is long enough for a place to develop the seedy corners and the underworld that Babylon 5 has. It feels like an underbelly develops, it doesn't just appear fully developed. Could just be me I guess.

Good point, this has always been a nagging issue with me as well.

Sindatur April 2nd 09 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cell (Post 339500)
Good point, this has always been a nagging issue with me as well.

However, in the series, it does show us that people make their way to B5, and can't support themselves, or afford passage off, so, in order for B5 personnel to clean up the "riff raff" as the population of them grew, that would entail paying for their passage off the station, so, it never really felt odd to me. It's not like folks down on their luck can just walk to the next town or hitch hike.

KoshFan April 2nd 09 21:45

Plus I think it's implied later on that B5 was never truly finished. Lots of places to hide, lots of nooks and crannies... and of course it's a great trading post, which means it'll soon have a black market.

Had the underworld been shown to us six weeks after the station was finished, sure. But I think two years is enough to develop some seemy spots.

GKarsEye April 4th 09 15:30

When I've visited or learned about developing towns, I was fascinated by how quickly economic and cultural sub-communities develop. It is, in fact, perfectly reasonable- and expected- for "brown sector" and all sorts of little hubs of activity to develop real quick on a place like Babylon 5.

Jade Jaguar April 5th 09 04:14

Quote:

It does not feel like two years is long enough for a place to develop the seedy corners and the underworld that Babylon 5 has.

Us seedy folks can bring down property values pretty fast. It's one of our few talents... :D

Estelyn May 15th 10 18:51

Having just rewatched this episode, I must say I agree with much of what has already been written here - the main story is below par for the series, but some aspects (McCallum, Garibaldi confronting Sinclair, Ivanova) do redeem it somewhat. I'm not sure whether I like the closing lines - Sinclair's interview, which finally takes place. The lines are almost too cheesy to be really touching.

Alioth May 21st 12 06:38

[QUOTE=Galahad;322650]
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_M_Swallow (Post 322568)
I think it does a lot more than foreshadow Crusade. It gives you a good indication of whats going on back home... this together with Earth's active stance with the Deathwalker situation/Epsilon III and the hidden factions in the Government backing Home Guard and a few other things tell us that Earth has not come to terms with it's dismal performance in the Minbari War... and this has led to a dangerous obsession with alien tech... in a bid to develop shortcuts to be on an even keel with a race such as the Minbari once more.

There are lots of little touches (even with guest or minor characters) that give us an inkling that Earth is a place that has a lot of fear, self doubt and insecurity.

It's this fear that leaves them wide open to the approach of Morden... and leads to the xenophobic idiot Clarke, moving himself into a place where he can seize power.

This may have been the first episode to give us these clues, followed by many more. It became apparent fairly quickly that in this show, Earth wasn't the secure utopian hub of some enlightened Federation. Your analysis of Earth's political and social climate and why it probably developed is pretty spot-on. Maybe a bit like Germany after WWI, minus an analog of the Versailles Treaty, but instead, oddly, a "surrender" of the enemy that no one could understand--other than perhaps that some "fifth column" was in place, hence the suspicions about Sinclair, general xenophobia, etc. But it sort of echoed "stabbed in the back" sentiments among many Germans after WWI, leading to the horrible scapegoating of a certain "Other" within that society.... Indeed, the intent of that Ikarran technology dovetailed pretty well with that pevailing mood on Earth, although the Earthers probably didn't know what the B5 leaders learned about Ikarran history. They were, as you say, simply looking for any shortcut to military advantage--possible dangers and consequences, including those from not really understanding what they'd discovered, be damned.

This ep does have a good bit to offer beneath the surface, although I agree that much of the immediate story was executed rather hamhandedly, and probably doesn't impress on first viewing before knowing the arc Earth takes in the series. I think at first viewing I did pick up a little that something may not have been quite right with Earth, but probably chalked it down to "the military-industrial complex is still alive in this future". I don't think we even know yet the nature of the Earth-Minbari War and that we got our asses handed to us (unless this is mentioned in "the Gathering", but I didn't watch that--separate DVD--until after the series proper).

Alioth May 21st 12 06:45

I don't think we ever see the small, portable organic devices the Shadows also had (which those smuggled artifacts remind somewhat of) in the show itself, but in some of the books we do see them. Such as the Shadow Within and
Spoiler for Shadow Within:
that little machine made from that mouselike creature native to Z'ha'dum, which was found in the Mars dig. Strangely, I didn't even pick up on the Shadow tech foreshadowing until I watched again after having read that book.