B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EpDis: Midnight On The Firing Line (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=6649)

Urban Roy March 3rd 09 23:08

Re: EpDis: Midnight On The Firing Line

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sindatur (Post 337314)
The next 4 or 5 episodes may be a little uneven (some are very good, some not so good), but, once you get beyond those, 95% or better of the episodes are are of really good quality.

Not planning to give up just yet(!) but thanks for the warning, won't worry too much about the next few episodes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vacantlook (Post 337323)
Who knows how Sinclair would've handled the Ragesh situation without the Narn/Raider weaponry incident, but that he used the Narn/Raider incident to solve the Ragesh problem reveals Sinclair's political resourcefulness.

Fair point. It just felt like Sinclair had been given his orders from the Senator and was out of ideas before he went to sort out the Raiders. I guess I just would have preferred him to have worked out / engineered something himself, or for the Raiders and the Ragesh issue to have been explicitly linked. I don't know, maybe the reason for the Raiders being there could have been a deal that they struck with the Narn in exchange for their technology to provide a diversion for the Centauri fleet so that it would have split their forces when they should have been protecting Ragesh 3. I'm riffing so that's not the best idea, but at least something like that would have explained the coincidental timing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshFan (Post 337364)
Suffice it to say, if you watch "Midnight" again after watching the whole series through, you'll be astonished at what gets hinted at.

Look forward to it, but it probably won't be for a while!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshFan (Post 337364)
With the possible exception of the first episode of Firefly, this is the most perfect first episode of a series that I've ever seen.

Now that's just a whole different kettle of fish. Shiny!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew (Post 337386)

I just know it'll be fun to relive the series with you...keep the thoughts coming!

As long as I'm not boring anyone I plan to!

(I seem to have gone overboard with the exclamation marks in this post, sorry about that. I'm not really that excitable!!!)

Urban Roy March 3rd 09 23:21

Sorry, quick follow up, I may have missed it from a single viewing but does anyone know why the title of the episode is Midnight On The Firing Line? Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

vacantlook March 3rd 09 23:47

"Midnight On The Firing Line" implies a period of tension prior to a breakout of armed conflict.

Sindatur March 3rd 09 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by vacantlook (Post 337421)
"Midnight On The Firing Line" implies a period of tension prior to a breakout of armed conflict.

Thanks VL, you learn something new everyday. I always assumed it was just a fancy title for the breakout of the war itself

butlerd November 14th 09 18:59

It was definitely one of the better of the S1 episodes and there are a lot of good scenes, particularly the one between Ivanova and Talia at the end. There is nothing to really dislike about the episode, although it certainly can't compare to many episodes in the following seasons.

One question, however: Does anybody know what rock song was being played at the bar during the scene at the end between Ivanova and Talia? It sounds sort of 80's-ish and even somewhat familiar but I'm dying to get it- if it's available that is. Anybody know anything?

Jan November 14th 09 19:11

To the best of my knowledge, almost all of the music used on B5 (exceptions being the gospel song in the 3rd season and the excerpt of the 'dry bones' song) was composed for the show by Christopher Franke with occasional lyrics by JMS. Mainly because they couldn't afford to license outside music, probably.

Jan

butlerd November 14th 09 19:55

I think you might be right about that. I wonder who they got to sing the song? Christopher Franke? It's a cool song. It would be awesome if it were downloadable somewhere. I actually e-mailed Franke at his website (Sonic Records) about this so maybe he will be able to say for sure- if he happens gets back to me. I loved the music he composed for the series

GeoKuutio November 14th 09 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by butlerd (Post 352370)
I think you might be right about that. I wonder who they got to sing the song? Christopher Franke? It's a cool song. It would be awesome if it were downloadable somewhere. I actually e-mailed Franke at his website (Sonic Records) about this so maybe he will be able to say for sure- if he happens gets back to me. I loved the music he composed for the series

If he does reply, please do mention about it here. That piece of info has been bugging me now and then for years already.

butlerd November 14th 09 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoKuutio (Post 352371)
If he does reply, please do mention about it here. That piece of info has been bugging me now and then for years already.

Sure thing! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one seeking out obscure things like this.

Jade Jaguar November 15th 09 04:51

I'm starting to watch them all over again, and just watched Midnight On The Firing Line. I find it to be quite a respectable episode. It does have to do some earnest character development, being a first ep, but handles it well.