B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.personnel (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Archive of American Television (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=45866)

Karajorma January 24th 18 06:21

Archive of American Television

I'm currently working my way through all the B5 interviews in the Archive of American Television. There's some stuff in there I didn't know before, especially the stuff about Paramount actively trying to kill B5.

Looney January 24th 18 16:35

Re: Archive of American Television

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karajorma (Post 460134)
especially the stuff about Paramount actively trying to kill B5.

Like most things it comes down to money, power, and control.

Karajorma January 27th 18 01:44

I'd always known they stole the idea for DS9, it's pretty obvious in fact. But I didn't know they actively tried to kill it with nonsense like saying "If you buy DS9 you can't also buy B5"

hypatia February 5th 18 03:31

Yea, I sometimes find myself amazed at how twisted the world of entertainment can be. It is more than just making a lot of money (though that is the first consideration, I'd think). It is more like having to destroy what you can't have. So you want to kill it so no one else can have it, either. In short, angry and childish behavior.

And JMS didn't exactly get rich from B5, did he?

Jan February 5th 18 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypatia (Post 460193)

By Hollywood standards, no - especially as this was the first series he sold. But he did get payments for all of the hats he wore, from creator to exec. producer to writer. He didn't make as much as he could have since he didn't put his name on any of the scripts he had a hand in re-writing. And as we know, he sure as heck hasn't made anything in rerun residuals.

hypatia February 6th 18 03:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 460200)
Quote:

By Hollywood standards, no - especially as this was the first series he sold. But he did get payments for all of the hats he wore, from creator to exec. producer to writer. He didn't make as much as he could have since he didn't put his name on any of the scripts he had a hand in re-writing. And as we know, he sure as heck hasn't made anything in rerun residuals.

Yea. It's depressingly familiar to me. Maybe I should shun JMS. My fandom seems to be the kiss of death, sometimes. Although, I seem to be doing better in recent years. Back in B5's day, I'd start watching series a few episodes before they were cancelled.

Karajorma February 6th 18 07:42

Quote:

Yea, I sometimes find myself amazed at how twisted the world of entertainment can be. It is more than just making a lot of money (though that is the first consideration, I'd think). It is more like having to destroy what you can't have. So you want to kill it so no one else can have it, either. In short, angry and childish behavior.

It's pretty sad. While I don't believe that anyone involved with writing DS9 saw JMS's work, it's pretty obvious that the executives had seen it and were directing DS9 to be more like B5. There are some pretty startling coincidences otherwise.

Jan February 6th 18 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypatia (Post 460203)
Yea. It's depressingly familiar to me. Maybe I should shun JMS. My fandom seems to be the kiss of death, sometimes. Although, I seem to be doing better in recent years. Back in B5's day, I'd start watching series a few episodes before they were cancelled.

I know the feeling. In fact, I almost didn't watch B5 when it first came out because I was so tired of watching new shows, starting to like them a lot and then they'd disappear after a few episodes. My life might have been just a little different if I'd missed it! ;)

Karajorma February 8th 18 04:00

I like how closely your signature fits that sentiment.

hypatia February 12th 18 02:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karajorma (Post 460205)
It's pretty sad. While I don't believe that anyone involved with writing DS9 saw JMS's work, it's pretty obvious that the executives had seen it and were directing DS9 to be more like B5. There are some pretty startling coincidences otherwise.

I think JMS gave the Star Trek guys a detailed overview of his vision for Babylon 5. And then, suddenly, Star Trek does its first series not set on a starship but on a space station. With Star Trek's first arc-planned storyline. And a leader who become a religious figure. And... but sadly I really liked DS9, too. :o