B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Keep Calm and Take CONTROL (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=42609)

Jan January 19th 16 14:52

Re: Keep Calm and Take CONTROL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Springer (Post 452595)
I'm not sure I could take it seriously if he was cast in such a role in the reboot. It would feel a bit too much like a nod and a wink to the fans.

JMS is really good at casting against typecasting, though. Remember the reaction to 'Chekov' on Babylon 5? I think it would be great for the cast to have meaty roles in the reboot rather than cameos. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

Jan

Springer January 19th 16 18:28

Re: Keep Calm and Take CONTROL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 452596)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Springer (Post 452595)
I'm not sure I could take it seriously if he was cast in such a role in the reboot. It would feel a bit too much like a nod and a wink to the fans.

JMS is really good at casting against typecasting, though. Remember the reaction to 'Chekov' on Babylon 5? I think it would be great for the cast to have meaty roles in the reboot rather than cameos. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

Jan

I absolutely agree, they should have meaty roles, but I think they've got to be carefully chosen so they are playing a real character, not a pastiche or pandering to fans and fan-fiction.

Wulf January 20th 16 15:31

Re: Keep Calm and Take CONTROL
 
I can see both sides.

If any of the old cast are in cameo roles I can easily see myself not being able to look at them as anything but their original character, but if they have a more substantial role where they can establish themselves as a new character I could probably look past it fairly quickly (assuming they did it well enough).

Of course, it's been 20 years, any returning cast probably won't have to try very hard to look like somebody new.

marajade January 22nd 16 20:29

Re: Keep Calm and Take CONTROL
 
Hopefully one of those cameo roles is Control!! Sorry, couldn't help myself again!:rommie:

Mororless January 23rd 16 15:51

Re: Keep Calm and Take CONTROL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wulf (Post 452601)
I can see both sides.

If any of the old cast are in cameo roles I can easily see myself not being able to look at them as anything but their original character, but if they have a more substantial role where they can establish themselves as a new character I could probably look past it fairly quickly (assuming they did it well enough).

Of course, it's been 20 years, any returning cast probably won't have to try very hard to look like somebody new.

I would preffer all of nothing personally, cameo's are distracting because its more of a wink rather than a chance for an actor to play a role of depth.

I think that if JMS wanted a Londo like character involved Jurasik would actually still be able to play him. He was aged a bit via makeup in the original and really unlike the human characters I don't think Londo is naturally a "young" character, indeed quite the reverse.

As far as how effective Talia and Lyta were as characters I would say both had there strengths. Talia was IMHO more effective playing off of the Psi Corps as her relationship to them felt a lot deeper. Lyta on the other hand for me seemed to be more effective when playing off of the Vorlons/Shadows.

marajade January 28th 16 11:30

Re: Keep Calm and Take CONTROL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wulf (Post 452601)
As far as how effective Talia and Lyta were as characters I would say both had there strengths. Talia was IMHO more effective playing off of the Psi Corps as her relationship to them felt a lot deeper. Lyta on the other hand for me seemed to be more effective when playing off of the Vorlons/Shadows.

Yes, I agree with this. I think those characters arcs played those off well. Now of course to get my plug in for some new arcs....bring in some telekinesis terror with Control!! :drool:

I'm sorry...I just can't help myself! :lol:

https://neatnik2009.files.wordpress....yalties-03.jpg

Karajorma March 6th 16 03:16

Re: Keep Calm and Take CONTROL
 
[QUOTE=Springer;452595]
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlonlovechild (Post 452594)
I'm not sure I could take it seriously if he was cast in such a role in the reboot. It would feel a bit too much like a nod and a wink to the fans. That's going to be the danger with this. It either has to have strong links with the original series, or be something brand new.

Well someone has already mentioned Bester but I'll also point out Tom Zarek in the new BSG as an example. I don't think anyone saw him and thought "It's Apollo!"

As long as it's done well, I'd love to see the old gang appear.


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:17.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2008 B5TV.COM