B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.related (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie? (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=42589)

Jan August 16th 16 16:28

Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple F (Post 456789)
His posts indicate he was given notes in the first five scripts, but he then went on to ignore them, wrote what he wanted and TNT didn’t do anything about it… hence the least troubled by outside forces.…. It was only after he’d done that that TNT suddenly went into overdrive. They ONLY began to act like tits after he’d started it by ignoring what they were suggesting in the first five…… Do you see where I’m coming from in this?

Only because you're trying to look at things through your own desired interpretation. NOplace does JMS ever say that he ignored any of their notes. In fact, why don't you instead read this post which would seem to indicate that JMS gave due consideration to notes and complied when possible.
http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-6148

Quote:

It was childish and petty, but TNT only began the overkill in notes AFTER jms had refused to play ball with the first five scripts. jms has a few times talked about how the first five had the minimum interference - and that, when taken in the larger context, really does seem to mean, they sent a few notes, he ignored them, TNT didn’t say anything…… and this is one of these conversations that’s going to go round and round in circles, isn’t it.
You're completely ignoring the fact that (after the fact) JMS discovered that TNT received results of an audience study (which JMS referenced in the email I copied above) that showed that B5 did not increase their market share.

Quote:

The real issue seems to be you want to view each jms post, or statement, in isolation, and take what is said literally. But when you take a step back, put a few of them together, take into consideration what others said, a slightly different picture is revealed…. Or at least a different interpretation is possible, and that’s what I’m doing. Is it wrong – is it correct. Bugger knows.
Well...yeah...I read what he writes. He's a writer. He writes exactly what he means (though he mis-types on occasion like anybody). That's not hard to understand. No convoluted 'interpretation' needed.

Quote:

Anyway. It’s just an opinion shared in an existing thread on a discussion forum. I’ve shown why I have the opinion. You disagree. Though getting jms to join in was a new twist… Fair enough. It’s no biggie. ;)
Don't look at me, I didn't alert him to this conversation (you must have missed the first time I said that). I sure didn't the last 3 times we had pretty much this exact discussion, did I? Another...interpretation?

Jan

JoeD80 August 25th 16 00:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple F (Post 456789)
It was childish and petty, but TNT only began the overkill in notes AFTER jms had refused to play ball with the first five scripts. jms has a few times talked about how the first five had the minimum interference - and that, when taken in the larger context, really does seem to mean, they sent a few notes, he ignored them, TNT didnít say anythingÖÖ and this is one of these conversations thatís going to go round and round in circles, isnít it.

It's not so easy to say one way or another since we don't have a lot of visibility into internal memos, but at least one Crusade script has been published ("Racing the Night"), and the entire 4th act was changed for that episode. Joe attributes that to notes he received. That could have been based on all of their notes, or only some of them.

Jan August 25th 16 01:44

I wish I had the time and patience to compare all of the drafts of the Crusade scripts that I have. I've got every draft that was released to the crew for all of the episodes. Of course, without the notes that accompany them, I'm not sure what it would show. Maybe someday.

vorlonlovechild September 12th 16 12:43

back to the B5 movie situation, with JMS's current health problems and him reigning back his work, will a B5 movie ever get made? I was thinking about this the other day, and looking at how we get such crappy movies released at cinema nowadays it's a crime that B5 has still not seen the big screen.

I'm amazed that with JMS being buddies with the warchowskis they didn't ask if they could have a go at making it. Surely it would be right up their alley? Then again maybe not.

Jan September 12th 16 14:52

JMS doesn't have any current health problems that we know of. His eye issue is completely fixed. And he's changing the focus of his writing from comics to novels and plays, not necessarily scaling back at all. I'm not sure he could if he wanted to! ;)

ETA: Thinking about the Wachowskis, I'd think that joining with JMS to do Harlan Ellison's ""Repent, Harlequin!" Said the TickTock Man" would be more playing to their strength. I'd love to see that combination of talent!!

JonFrain October 20th 16 02:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 456623)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Springer (Post 456622)
Is this why there's never any new merchandise? Every year at SDCC there are all kinds of models, action figures and collectibles from all manner of older or obscure SF shows that still have a fanbase, but never anything from B5. I could never figure out whether it's because people have just forgotten about the show or whether JMS or Warners were somehow an obstacle to it.

What's majorly disappointing to me, though, is that I've been told by trustworthy sources that Big Finish, the folks who've done some wonderful audio dramas (especially Doctor Who) have asked about a license and were told none were available. It's as though WB just wants the show to disappear.

Jan

I was looking to see if Big finish ever addressed Babylon 5. Their official twitter indicates the cost alone would be prohibitive. If they were told the license wasn't available they could have created a campaign to get fans to at least write to WB.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/556412075506171905

"Q: Any ideas on a Babylon 5 series? A: We might go back to it, but actors fees on a reasonable budget would be really difficult for ensemble"

pine22 August 27th 17 07:32

I get migraines so news about tweeting and retweeting untweeting or whatever doesn't bother me. Plus I don't tweet anyway....Facebook takes up way too much of my time.

I did see people posting and mentioning a B5 movie in 2016 in the B5 Facebook group that I belong to, but there really wasn't much more than speculation and questions.....not much info given.

Looney August 27th 17 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by pine22 (Post 459228)
I did see people posting and mentioning a B5 movie in 2016 in the B5 Facebook group that I belong to, but there really wasn't much more than speculation and questions.....not much info given.

Not really. Basically JMS announced a few years ago that he was in the process of moving forward with a theatrical movie because he has the theatrical film rights to B5. He thought he could raise enough interest (money) on his own for the project, but he wanted Warner Brothers on board to match what other investors he could come up with. He wanted them on board, but if he could raise enough on his own he would move forward if they didn't have interest in the project. He fully recognized that he needed to gain more "street cred" to raise these funds. I think he was hopeful his current projects, at the time, would help to grow that "street cred". To date he has said he hasn't been able to generate as much interest (money) as he hoped to do the movie the right way. Health issues slowed him down the last year or so, but he has some big projects on the horizon. Basically we're still waiting to hear him announce that the screen play is finished, which is likely something he won't do until he knows the project is moving forward with at least a budget of one hundred million dollars. I can't confirm this is the truth, but it seems I read a year or more ago that he said he was only at about sixty million. Again I can't confirm that is the truth, but it seems he said something like that; maybe it was something like he thought he could raise around sixty percent of what he wanted or something. ;)

There has been a lot of speculation that he has given up because of certain things he has said, but I have never heard that he said he is abandoning the idea. All I've heard is that he is struggling with the problem of what to do with the fact that every day that passes makes the franchise interest grow colder.

What info you can't find here you can find over on JMS News forum. There you'll find more specific answers and exact quotes. I will tell Jan over there and see if she has anything to add to what I've said over here. She'll be able to correct any mistakes I've made. :lol:

Jan August 27th 17 17:59

A couple of things - almost quibbles. Yes, for the past two years JMS has said that he's working on building his 'street cred' in order to be able to attract investors to the project. He didn't say that he'd raised $60M in investors, only that he thought that was how much he could attract at that time. His feeling was that he'd need more in the way of feature films and/or TV shows in order to gain that credibility. As is too often the case, projects in the works (Midnight Nation series and Rising Stars movie as two examples) never seem to move very quickly so there's little change since last year.

As for WB, he's said he'd invite them in but if not, he'd go it alone. One thing to note about this is that even though JMS owns the feature film rights, WB owns all TV and other rights. If WB won't participate, it's unclear what secondary revenue streams would be available for the B5 movie such as TV or DVD sales.

At this year's San Diego Comic-Con appearance, JMS mentioned that he's aware that as time goes on, the less the show is in the public consciousness and he's trying to work out how to deal with that.

Looney August 28th 17 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 459230)
A couple of things - almost quibbles.

Where are the "quibbes"?! :p I didn't say anything too far from what you said. I mean I said I couldn't remember exactly what was said about $60 million. :p

(THANKS) ;)