B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   Non-B5 books, TV & films (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   SyFy sucks (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=29191)

dencor May 1st 12 11:44

SyFy sucks
 
With the bonehead idea of canceling Eureka, the SyFy channel as far as I am concerned has nothing to do with science fiction anymore. Sadly, the best shows left on this horrible channel are the late night reruns of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. Like Babylon 5 I never get tired of watching the two Stargate series.

I honestly believe it will be a long long time before we see a good scifi show on tv. And we will never see a science fiction series that takes place among the stars again, simply because of cost involved in producing such a series. And don't get me started on those horrible saturday night movies the SyFy channel seems to be so proud of. Thoughts anyone on the future of Science Fiction on tv ?

dennis

Sindatur May 1st 12 14:53

Re: SyFy sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dencor (Post 396541)
With the bonehead idea of canceling Eureka, the SyFy channel as far as I am concerned has nothing to do with science fiction anymore. Sadly, the best shows left on this horrible channel are the late night reruns of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. Like Babylon 5 I never get tired of watching the two Stargate series.

I honestly believe it will be a long long time before we see a good scifi show on tv. And we will never see a science fiction series that takes place among the stars again, simply because of cost involved in producing such a series. And don't get me started on those horrible saturday night movies the SyFy channel seems to be so proud of. Thoughts anyone on the future of Science Fiction on tv ?

dennis

Actually, there is a Robert Hewitt Wolfe Space Opera Pilot that has been greenlighted. Here's a blurb about it from another post on another board:

Defender - My favorite by a parsec! RHW is enough to sell me, but I also love the Starfleetish setup and the exploration of "transhuman" characters (cyborg, genetically altered or both?) Presumably this will work out much better than Andromeda now that he doesn't have to deal with the schlockmeisters at Tribune.

Wether they pick it up for Series, remains to be seen.

There's also a Rockne S. Obannon show that's being looked at for Pilot
Defiance – 2013 – Defiance is in collaboration with Trion Worlds, with the Syfy series and Trion’s multi-platform shooter MMO poised to debut simultaneously. The series stars Grant Bowler, Julie Benz, Stephanie Leonidas, Tony Curran, Jaime Murray, Fionnula Flanagan, Mia Kirshner and Oscar-nominee Graham Greene. Set in the near future, Defiance introduces a completely transformed planet Earth, inhabited by the survivors of a universal war. Forced to co-habitate, the disparate group struggles to build a new society among the devastation. The dramatic tapestry of the series and the intense action of the game will exist in a single universe where their respective narratives will inform one another and evolve together into one overall story. Defiance is directed by Scott Stewart (Legion, Priest) and written/executive produced by Rockne O’Bannon (Farscape), Kevin Murphy (Desperate Housewives, Caprica, Hellcats) and Michael Taylor (Battlestar Galactica). Kevin Murphy serves as showrunner. Defiance is produced by Universal Cable Productions

Warehouse 13 and Eureka never really held much interest for me, about all I care about on SyFy is Sanctuary (Still waiting to hear if they will do a Season 5, if so, it will likely be the last) and Merlin's next and possibly last season, I am looking forward to, though that's a ways off too.

The Blood and Chrome Pilot apparently has impressed many, but, they won't be taking it to Series, their cost saving effort of the Green Screen/CGI sets turned into a massive amount of Post Filming FX work, took them at least 8 months for the 2 hour Pilot to be completed after filming was done. If that had gone better, they may have picked it up.

On another channel, I'm looking forward to the return of TNT's Falling Skies in June or July, Season 1 Cliffhanger left great possibilities for where they may go with Season 2

Galahad May 1st 12 18:40

Re: SyFy sucks
 
If Prometheus does well, it could jump start studio interest in the genre. Remember they don't care about us or what we are interested in... all they care about is money... and if the public shows interest in a certain genre, they will start investing in it to cash in on its success.

Sindatur May 1st 12 21:04

Re: SyFy sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad (Post 396568)
If Prometheus does well, it could jump start studio interest in the genre. Remember they don't care about us or what we are interested in... all they care about is money... and if the public shows interest in a certain genre, they will start investing in it to cash in on its success.

There's theatrical Space Opera Movies about every year. Why should Prometheus be any more helpful to TV than Avatar or Star Trek '09? Surely, you don't imagine Prometheus outdoing Avatar?

Nah, I don't think Action Adventure Space Opera Theatrical movies, no matter how well they do, really have an affect on wether someone in the TV Business is willing to invest in Space Opera and take the chance of not getting the ratings to support it, unless that TV Show is directly based upon the Theatrical Movie (IE: Bryan Fuller has been talking about wanting to do a Star Trek Series after Star Trek 2013 Movie comes out. If he pursues that, that success or failure of the movie will impact the desire for someone to want to invest in an ST show.)

AMC is looking at, at least Space Opera Pilot, so, it's very possible the pendulum is beginning to swing back towards Space Opera being available on TV, providing these upcoming shows in the next year or so justify the investment.

Galahad May 1st 12 23:48

Re: SyFy sucks
 
Just recalling what Ridley Scott himself said. That science fiction as a genre was as dead as westerns were in the 80's. They had nothing left to say. Of course he was talking utter excrement... but the trouble with "luminaries" is that people buy into what they are saying rather than making their own mind up.

The fact that a credible arty director is taking up the mantle again might inspire a few people. that's all I'm saying.

Demonn May 2nd 12 23:44

Re: SyFy sucks
 
I haven't watched anything on SyFy since the new Stragate show (which sucked) got canceled... It's all Ghost hunters & stupid (REALLY stupid) movies now, & it's been really stupid movies for a while. They should fire half of those writers and actors... no, make that 2/3rds of them. Or maybe all of them and start over.

I loved Battlestar & didn't even bother to watch Caprica...

Wharehouse 13 sucks... I can't get into it. I'd like to, but they gotta make each episode get stupid at least once.

I like Merlin but I've been watching it on Netflix which means I'm at the end of Season 3 & I refuse to just watch whatever season/episode that is playing now. I'll watch it eventually. SyFy... u do suck!

dencor May 3rd 12 09:41

Re: SyFy sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 396598)
I haven't watched anything on SyFy since the new Stragate show (which sucked) got canceled... It's all Ghost hunters & stupid (REALLY stupid) movies now, & it's been really stupid movies for a while. They should fire half of those writers and actors... no, make that 2/3rds of them. Or maybe all of them and start over.

I loved Battlestar & didn't even bother to watch Caprica...

Wharehouse 13 sucks... I can't get into it. I'd like to, but they gotta make each episode get stupid at least once.

I like Merlin but I've been watching it on Netflix which means I'm at the end of Season 3 & I refuse to just watch whatever season/episode that is playing now. I'll watch it eventually. SyFy... u do suck!

I agree with the majority of what you said Demonn. The SyFy channel needs a complete overhaul from top to bottom. The only thing I don't agree on is Battlestar Galactica. Stopped watching it into season three, ( except for the occasional episode ) when I could no longer keep up with whom was sleeping with whom. Some bad writing in my opinion. And the ending compared to Sleeping In light was pretty bad.

Demonn May 3rd 12 10:46

Re: SyFy sucks
 
I thought the show started to decline when they made the other half of the cast cylons but I went with it because it was still good scifi.

KoshN May 5th 12 20:31

Re: SyFy sucks
 
Well, they do still have Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary, right? I'm disappointed that they cancelled Eureka, and have followed those three shows on DVD. I haven't had the channel since it moved to Digital on COMCAST in January 2004, but I will probably be moving to Digital Starter before June 5th, and Syfy is included in that package. I'm cringing at the thought of seeing commercials for f-ing wrestling or their Reality TV BS.

Regarding Warehouse 13, Yes, Pete is irritatingly stupid at times, but the rest of the show is entertaining and anything that keeps Joanne Kelly onscreen is OK by me. :D

I watched the Battlestar Galactica (2003) miniseries (glorified 3 hr. movie) on The Sci-Fi Channel in December 2003 and watched through Season 3 and Razor via buying the DVD sets, grew increasingly tired of this trashy soap opera starting in Season 2. Finally, after Razor, I couldn't stand it anymore and sold my DVD sets in disgust.

KoshN May 5th 12 21:32

Re: SyFy sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonn (Post 396598)
I haven't watched anything on SyFy since the new Stragate show (which sucked) got canceled... It's all Ghost hunters & stupid (REALLY stupid) movies now, & it's been really stupid movies for a while. They should fire half of those writers and actors... no, make that 2/3rds of them. Or maybe all of them and start over.

I loved Battlestar & didn't even bother to watch Caprica...

Wharehouse 13 sucks... I can't get into it. I'd like to, but they gotta make each episode get stupid at least once.

I like Merlin but I've been watching it on Netflix which means I'm at the end of Season 3 & I refuse to just watch whatever season/episode that is playing now. I'll watch it eventually. SyFy... u do suck!

You loved Battlestar (2003+) and think Warehouse 13 sucks?! :eek: You and I are 180 out of sync. on that one. Right now, I put Battlestar Galactica (2003+) in the same group with Deep Space Nine and Voyager as shows I wouldn't waste my time watching even if somebody paid me to do so. Ditto for Abrams' Trek, movies or any TV series.

Sindatur May 5th 12 23:57

Re: SyFy sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 396712)
Well, they do still have Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary, right? I'm disappointed that they cancelled Eureka, and have followed those three shows on DVD. I haven't had the channel since it moved to Digital on COMCAST in January 2004, but I will probably be moving to Digital Starter before June 5th, and Syfy is included in that package. I'm cringing at the thought of seeing commercials for f-ing wrestling or their Reality TV BS.

Regarding Warehouse 13, Yes, Pete is irritatingly stupid at times, but the rest of the show is entertaining and anything that keeps Joanne Kelly onscreen is OK by me. :D

I watched the Battlestar Galactica (2003) miniseries (glorified 3 hr. movie) on The Sci-Fi Channel in December 2003 and watched through Season 3 and Razor via buying the DVD sets, grew increasingly tired of this trashy soap opera starting in Season 2. Finally, after Razor, I couldn't stand it anymore and sold my DVD sets in disgust.

Sactuary Season 4 ended in a way that could open new doors, or be satisfying as a Series Finale. No word yet, on if SyFy will pickup Sanctuary for S5 (Likely will be the last) or if they will cancel. The Producers could go somewhere else for airing/financing, so, if SyFy does decide to pass, therre's still a chance, but, right now, it's in Limbo, waiting for an overdue SyFy Channel response.

I enjoy DS9 almost as much as B5, personally and by coincidence, I just started watching Voyager to give it another chance (Watched maybe half of in first run). The first couple episodes have been pretty decent so far.

KoshN May 6th 12 01:31

Re: SyFy sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sindatur (Post 396718)
Sactuary Season 4 ended in a way that could open new doors, or be satisfying as a Series Finale. No word yet, on if SyFy will pickup Sanctuary for S5 (Likely will be the last) or if they will cancel. The Producers could go somewhere else for airing/financing, so, if SyFy does decide to pass, therre's still a chance, but, right now, it's in Limbo, waiting for an overdue SyFy Channel response..

Overdue? Isn't this month about the time Syfy does its upfronts?



Quote:

Originally Posted by Sindatur (Post 396718)
I enjoy DS9 almost as much as B5, personally and by coincidence, I just started watching Voyager to give it another chance (Watched maybe half of in first run). The first couple episodes have been pretty decent so far.

In DS9, I couldn't stand Keiko or the kids, or some of the P.I.T.A. Bajorans. For me, the difference in quality between B5 and DS9 is that of night and day. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being best, I'd rate B5 a 10 and DS9 maybe a 3, Voyager a 2, and with those DS9 and VOY ratings, I'm being charitable.

<shrug> I've been 110% tired of Trek for years.

Demonn May 6th 12 21:09

Re: SyFy sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 396715)
You loved Battlestar (2003+) and think Warehouse 13 sucks?! :eek: You and I are 180 out of sync. on that one. Right now, I put Battlestar Galactica (2003+) in the same group with Deep Space Nine and Voyager as shows I wouldn't waste my time watching even if somebody paid me to do so. Ditto for Abrams' Trek, movies or any TV series.

See that's the thing... I liked DS9 & was ok with Voyager. I feel like I always gotta shy outa the room when people start b!tching about Voyager. I think I disliked Enterprise more then either of them.

I just can't get into Wharehouse 13... I've tried.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Sindatur (Post 396718)
I enjoy DS9 almost as much as B5, personally and by coincidence, I just started watching Voyager to give it another chance (Watched maybe half of in first run). The first couple episodes have been pretty decent so far.

Same here... I never watched DS9 when it was on TV, but then I got the DVDs when they came out. The show wasn't bad. It was way better then TNG.

Don't get me wrong though... B5 was way better than anything Star Trek has to offer.



Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 396730)
In DS9, I couldn't stand Keiko or the kids, or some of the P.I.T.A. Bajorans. For me, the difference in quality between B5 and DS9 is that of night and day. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being best, I'd rate B5 a 10 and DS9 maybe a 3, Voyager a 2, and with those DS9 and VOY ratings, I'm being charitable.

<shrug> I've been 110% tired of Trek for years.

I can't watch the OLD Trek episodes... other then that I'm good to go.

Sindatur May 7th 12 14:52

Re: SyFy sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 396730)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sindatur (Post 396718)
Sactuary Season 4 ended in a way that could open new doors, or be satisfying as a Series Finale. No word yet, on if SyFy will pickup Sanctuary for S5 (Likely will be the last) or if they will cancel. The Producers could go somewhere else for airing/financing, so, if SyFy does decide to pass, therre's still a chance, but, right now, it's in Limbo, waiting for an overdue SyFy Channel response..

Overdue? Isn't this month about the time Syfy does its upfronts?



Quote:

Originally Posted by Sindatur (Post 396718)
I enjoy DS9 almost as much as B5, personally and by coincidence, I just started watching Voyager to give it another chance (Watched maybe half of in first run). The first couple episodes have been pretty decent so far.

In DS9, I couldn't stand Keiko or the kids, or some of the P.I.T.A. Bajorans. For me, the difference in quality between B5 and DS9 is that of night and day. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being best, I'd rate B5 a 10 and DS9 maybe a 3, Voyager a 2, and with those DS9 and VOY ratings, I'm being charitable.

<shrug> I've been 110% tired of Trek for years.

Not sure what P.I.T.A. Bajorans are, but, the Bajorans only were a main plot point for the first two seasons of DS9, after than, the Religion and Politics and Mythology of Bajor faded into the background, and the Dominion Story started building. Keiko was only in 19 out of 173 episodes, only two more episodes than Leeta.

KoshN May 8th 12 04:23

Re: SyFy sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sindatur (Post 396793)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 396730)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sindatur (Post 396718)
Sactuary Season 4 ended in a way that could open new doors, or be satisfying as a Series Finale. No word yet, on if SyFy will pickup Sanctuary for S5 (Likely will be the last) or if they will cancel. The Producers could go somewhere else for airing/financing, so, if SyFy does decide to pass, therre's still a chance, but, right now, it's in Limbo, waiting for an overdue SyFy Channel response..

Overdue? Isn't this month about the time Syfy does its upfronts?



Quote:

Originally Posted by Sindatur (Post 396718)
I enjoy DS9 almost as much as B5, personally and by coincidence, I just started watching Voyager to give it another chance (Watched maybe half of in first run). The first couple episodes have been pretty decent so far.

In DS9, I couldn't stand Keiko or the kids, or some of the P.I.T.A. Bajorans. For me, the difference in quality between B5 and DS9 is that of night and day. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being best, I'd rate B5 a 10 and DS9 maybe a 3, Voyager a 2, and with those DS9 and VOY ratings, I'm being charitable.

<shrug> I've been 110% tired of Trek for years.

Not sure what P.I.T.A. Bajorans are, but, the Bajorans only were a main plot point for the first two seasons of DS9, after than, the Religion and Politics and Mythology of Bajor faded into the background, and the Dominion Story started building. Keiko was only in 19 out of 173 episodes, only two more episodes than Leeta.

P.I.T.A. = Pain In The Ass.

How many episodes was Keiko in where she wasn't harping on Miles?

How many episodes were the kids in? How many episodes were they in when they weren't getting into trouble? That seemed to be their reason for being, much like Kim and Teri on "24."

I watched DS9 thru Season 4, and then less and less as time went on. I'm not sure where I stopped. DS9 had lots of things that I found to be irritating/annoying. Voyager had the bad hair day, Kazon, Seska, The Maquis, JANEWAY, Janeway's voice which could curdle milk and got on my last nerve like a rasp, and Janeway always droning on and on about 7 of 9's humanity. Like Battlestar Galactica 2003+, I just couldn't endure watching Deep Space Nine or Voyager all the way through to the end. It was like crawling on my hands and knees through broken glass, for YEARS. By the time Enterprise came along, I was set to give Trek another chance, and watched Seasons 1 through 3. I found Seasons 1 & 2 to be pretty bad, but it got better in Season 3, up to the last few minutes of the Season 3 finale, which sucked. I dropped Enterprise right then and there, and didn't watch Season 4 until years later via Netflix DVDs. I didn't think anybody could redeem the show after that, but Manny Coto did, up until the Season 4/Series Finale, which sucked.

For me, Babylon 5 and Crusade had none of that unrelenting irritation. Some TV shows draw you to them and are hard to STOP watching because they have a continuing thread and/or have characters and/or writing that you just LIKE and/or don't have continuing sources of irritation that PISS YOU OFF (e.g. for me, Babylon 5, Crusade, Person of Interest, Justified, Criminal Minds, The Mentalist, Castle, Grimm, Supernatural, Bones, The Big Bang Theory, NCIS, CSI, etc.), and some shows I can take 'em or leave 'em, i.e. they're just not appointment level TV (e.g. How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men, Hawaii Five-0 (2011+), 2 Broke Girls, New Girl, CSI:NY, NCIS:LA, etc.), and some TV shows turn into WORK (something to be gotten through) and/or torture (e.g. Deep Space Nine, Voyager, the first two seasons of Enterprise, Battlestar Galactica 2003+, etc.). I have a tough time keeping up with the first group, no hope of watching all of the second group and I sure as HELL don't have time to finish the third group.

Demonn May 29th 17 17:20

Re: SyFy sucks
 
SyFy... YOU still SUCK!


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:17.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2008 B5TV.COM