B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.personnel (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   If I wasn't already a vegetarian, this much spam would make me one. (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=17656)

vacantlook December 24th 11 18:35

If I wasn't already a vegetarian, this much spam would make me one.

I just wanted to let any actual living beings who're trying to visit this forum know that I am totally aware of the spam infestation currently underway. A larger fix beyond my capabilities needs to be implemented to stop it, but I'm doing what I can to try to delete as many threads as I can until then. It is overwhelming. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

fisheggs December 25th 11 16:20

Re: If I wasn't already a vegetarian, this much spam would make me one.

Holy crap!!!! there's over 15 pages of this shit!!!! Is there some way to delete all postings by a "member"? Or maybe place a limit on # of posts per day by a new "member"?
Good luck!!!

vacantlook December 25th 11 21:30

That's how many pages you can see; the literal thousands of posts I've deleted aren't visible to you. Just for fun, I went and hunted down the current page (that I can see) that the first post from these spam bots is on; it's page 280. So that makes it well over 5000 spam posts that these bots have made.

Jan December 25th 11 21:43

VL, the forum I moderate is on Vbulletin, too and I'm able to delete all posts by a poster and ban them at the same time. Any idea if that would work for you? The first poster I clicked on had 570 posts so that might speed things up? Unless you're doing it that way already, in which case you've got my sympathies!

Jan

vacantlook December 25th 11 21:46

From the best I've been able to find, I can delete threads to a maximum of 200 at a time but don't have any banning abilities being just a moderator (that's for the administrators), unless I've missed something somewhere.

Edit: Well, I think I've got all of the posts deleted now.

Jan December 25th 11 22:57

Good luck staying ahead of them then. Sounds like they may need to close registration for a while.

Merry Christmas anyway!

KoshN December 27th 11 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 392035)
Good luck staying ahead of them then. Sounds like they may need to close registration for a while.

Merry Christmas anyway!

Sounds like we need a Holodemon to go after them and destroy their means of well....everything.

RW7427 December 28th 11 01:23

I don't have much of a problem with spam in Babbleon. Occasionally a spam thread will show up and I just delete it. Now, Babbleon can be a scary place because there's so much insanity that goes on there. It scares regular members here, so it probably scares spammers too. :lol:

vacantlook December 29th 11 02:33

It seems as if the spambots have been blasted, so I'm de-stickying this thread. I deleted thousands of spam posts, but if I missed any that you can see, please let me know.

Sindatur December 29th 11 17:49

The third thread down, and the next 15 -20 all appear to be Spam