B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Earthers? (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=12012)

Boredom October 29th 10 08:48

Earthers?

Why people from earth were called "earthers" by everybody else?
Wouldn't "earthlings" or "terrans" be more appropriate name calling?
"Earthers" sounds more like it was an ideological conviction instead of just being from there like "earthlings" or "terrans".

ALeafOnTheWind October 29th 10 13:13

Re: Earthers?

It was meant to be derogatory.

Republibot 3.0 October 29th 10 19:48

I don't really think "Earther" was intended to be derogatory, it's just a name.. "Earthling" just sounds goofy and 1950s. "Humans" is too broad because there are lots of humans not born on earth. "Terrans" sounds pretentious.

"Earther" ain't great, but it is at least immediately clear. They chose "Marsie" (Which really is a terrible name) because they were afraid if they called people from Mars "Martians" the audience would think they were aliens.

vacantlook October 29th 10 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 (Post 365889)
IThey chose "Marsie" (Which really is a terrible name) because they were afraid if they called people from Mars "Martians" the audience would think they were aliens.

Every instance I remember of the use of "marsie" was one in which it was being used derrogatorily.

KoshFan October 29th 10 23:06

Yeah, and as far as I can recall, every use of both was derogatorily aimed by the other group: only Earthers called people from Mars "Marsies," and only Marsies called people from Earth "Earthers."

Republibot 3.0 October 30th 10 21:17

Well ok, then.

Boredom October 31st 10 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshFan (Post 365900)
Yeah, and as far as I can recall, every use of both was derogatorily aimed by the other group: only Earthers called people from Mars "Marsies," and only Marsies called people from Earth "Earthers."

Actually, Neroon used it too (season 2 "All Alone in the Night"). And yes, it's derogatory.

However, to me it's a gramatical error. Because it'll translate to "people who believe in earth" instead of "people from earth".

Republibot 3.0 October 31st 10 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredom (Post 365932)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshFan (Post 365900)

Actually, Neroon used it too (season 2 "All Alone in the Night"). And yes, it's derogatory.

However, to me it's a gramatical error. Because it'll translate to "people who believe in earth" instead of "people from earth".

Or perhaps "Those who Earth," whatever that might mean. <G>

Jade Jaguar November 1st 10 06:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredom (Post 365932)

No, that would be "Earthists," or perhaps "Earthites" or "Earthics."

I've always preferred "Earthoids" myself... :D

RW7427 November 1st 10 23:59

Didn't the Drazi ambassador call someone an Earther? I think it was either Ivanova or Garibaldi in season 2's Geometry of Shadows.