B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Ancient Egyptian Blessing (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=11962)

Matthew July 30th 10 16:42

Ancient Egyptian Blessing

does anyone know where the quote: "May God always stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk" comes from originally (i.e., not the episode)?

a quick google search suggests it's wiccan, not egyptian.

Triple F July 30th 10 17:21

Re: Ancient Egyptian Blessing

The actual blessing is made up as far as I know and was a line Harlan Ellison came out with.

There’s a fair chance though that it is an amalgam of existing blessings from any number of religions. Though rumour has it, Harlan is pretty familiar with Egyptian lore.

I have read that some folks now do use it, verbatim, though if you look at the dates they started after the B5 episode.

Galahad August 9th 10 12:11

If it's using a monotheistic slant... you might want to try looking up the Coptic churches liturgy.

saracen October 19th 10 12:51

Actually that is an actual Egyptian blessing, albeit slightly paraphrased. The actual blessing goes like this: God be between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.

Triple F October 19th 10 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by saracen (Post 365555)
Actually that is an actual Egyptian blessing, albeit slightly paraphrased. The actual blessing goes like this: God be between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.

Any chance of a link?

Republibot 3.0 October 19th 10 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad (Post 364270)
If it's using a monotheistic slant... you might want to try looking up the Coptic churches liturgy.

It only seems that way because we're a monotheistic culture. "God" in polytheism simply means whichever god you happen to be talking about at the time. For instance, if you're talking about Odin, and you say 'God protect you' then it's understood you mean Odin.

Jade Jaguar October 20th 10 03:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 (Post 365567)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad (Post 364270)

It only seems that way because we're a monotheistic culture. "God" in polytheism simply means whichever god you happen to be talking about at the time. For instance, if you're talking about Odin, and you say 'God protect you' then it's understood you mean Odin.

I worship Lena Olin, so I would mean Olin. :eek: :)

Republibot 3.0 October 20th 10 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade Jaguar (Post 365583)

I worship Lena Olin, so I would mean Olin. :eek: :)

Long may there be mirrors for her to crawl around on