B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Triluminary Question (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=11805)

Recoil January 16th 10 15:14

Triluminary Question

So rewatching the series again, a nagging question came up and I don't remember where I heard this particular bit of info. Spoilers below for the, well, no one who is reading this site who hasn't seen B5 all the way through yet.

We know a few things. The Triluminary glowed when the Minbari held it in front of Sinclair. Early in the series (season 1, early season 2) it was stated that this was because he had a "Minbari Soul." Later in the series, this was corrected / modified a bit to show that it actually meant he had the Soul of Valen, not just any Minbari Soul. We also know the Sinclair went back in time and actually WAS Valen.

So the question is, I remember hearing somewhere that the metal chip looking thing in the middle of the Triluminary was actually a piece of Sinclair s Comlink that he wore on his hand when a part of Earthforce. And that pieces of that Comlink were on the other two Triluminaries as well. And, that the reason the Triliminary glowed when held up to him as those Comlinks are genetically bonded to the owners, and it was reacting to his DNA. The question is ---- this was never actually stated in the series itself. Where the hell did I hear this? Was it established in a book as canon? A comic? One of the many JMS Speaks where he was giving backstory that never made it onto film? Its bugging me where I heard this...

KoshN January 16th 10 18:40

Re: Triluminary Question

What you said sounds reasonable. You could ask JMS on rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated . ;)

Kara Baxter January 16th 10 19:29

delenn said it when she went thru the dream world.

She said it to the minbari who was saying she couldn't marry sheridan, and delen explains all this.

Recoil January 16th 10 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 355393)
What you said sounds reasonable. You could ask JMS on rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated . ;)

The thing is, I don't think its just a theory of mine. I swear its either canon that wasn't in the show but was mentioned somewhere else, or that JMS already DID mention it on the moderated forum. I'm just trying to remember where I heard it.

Not sure asking him a 12 year old question of something he may have already answered is best. I'm hoping some of the old schoolers around here might remember or have insights. But we will see :)

Kara --- Delenn does mention that Sinclair has the soul of Valen in that episode, and it is mentioned again in "In the Beginning." But they dont mention that the Triluminary is made out of pieces of Sinclairs Comlink. Thats the part I'm trying to remember where I heard it.

Kara Baxter January 16th 10 22:04

http://jmsnews.com/forums/showthread.php?p=41125

Jan January 16th 10 22:19

I've never heard the comlink theory but I'm pretty sure it's nothing linked to Sinclair since JMS has said:
As will be noted in an upcoming episode, the Triluminaries originally came from Epsilon 3 with the other equipment brought aboard by Zathras.
and

> How exactly does the triluminary thingy come into existence?
> Paradox, no?

It originated on Epsilon 3.

Jan

KoshN January 17th 10 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kara Baxter (Post 355410)

She said it to the minbari who was saying she couldn't marry sheridan, and delen explains all this.

About the chip/fragment in the center of the Triluminary being a piece of Sinclair's comm-link?

Jan January 17th 10 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoshN (Post 355475)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kara Baxter (Post 355410)

About the chip/fragment in the center of the Triluminary being a piece of Sinclair's comm-link?

No, there's definitely nothing about the physical construction of the Triluminary on the show itself.

Jan

Recoil January 17th 10 15:14

I looked a couple of the links given above. JMS definitely says that it came from Epsilon 3, but doesn't give any details about it. In the thread Kara posted there is a rather large debate on what it is, and the Comlink theory is mentioned several times there, so apparently I'm not the only person with this in my head. I never surfed the JMS forums though so I'm not sure where I got the idea.

Either way, it appears that its pretty inconclusive. I don't see where JMS said it ISN'T a comlink and its clearly something that's up for some debate. To me that makes a ton of sense --- even if it did come from Epsilon 3 --- but it doesn't seem to be something thats been conclusively answered by JMS or in any books/comics that I can see so far.

Jan January 17th 10 15:23

The only way I could see that any portion of it might be a comlink would be if we'd ever seen any sort of comlink in use by anybody we saw on Epsilon 3. We didn't. Holographic techology, yes, but no sign of anything resembling a comlink.

We also never saw any sign that Sinclair had left behind a comlink that might have been used to construct the triluminary. So if it were a piece of a comlink and it was supposed to be linked to Sinclair then how'd that happen, given that JMS clearly states that they originally came from Epsilon 3.

It's not as if the 'soul link' is the only mysterious property the triluminaries have. They also can knock out guards and leave no memory of it behind. Links can't do that.

Jan