B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.FAQ (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   JMS' Viewing Order (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=11675)

Teep Trick July 22nd 12 20:34

Re: JMS' Viewing Order

Thanks for the responses Kribu and KoshN, now I shall also try to fix my avatar...

JonFrain September 15th 13 06:53

Interesting. I have a feeling I'll be doing a series rewatch by Christmas, at least of the major arc related episodes. I always thought that I'd watch "in the Beginning" right after Atonement as I believe that's the last regular season episode to reveal everything that ITB spoils. Watching it before the series seems like a big mistake for first time viewers.

TKO and Legacies right before Chrysalis seems to really weaken the end of the season to me.

Republibot 3.0 October 3rd 13 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonFrain (Post 439610)
Interesting. I have a feeling I'll be doing a series rewatch by Christmas, at least of the major arc related episodes. I always thought that I'd watch "in the Beginning" right after Atonement as I believe that's the last regular season episode to reveal everything that ITB spoils. Watching it before the series seems like a big mistake for first time viewers.

TKO and Legacies right before Chrysalis seems to really weaken the end of the season to me.

I agree. IttB works better as a flashback than an introduction.

fisheggs October 4th 13 08:00

It really depends on whether it's a first run view or whether you've watched B5 more than once.In a Re-viewing, I'd place ITB first, for chronalogical reasons, because I know the secrets. As an introduction, it's not bad. Not good, mind you, but doesn't really spoil the suprises to come.

JonFrain October 6th 13 04:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by fisheggs (Post 440480)
It really depends on whether it's a first run view or whether you've watched B5 more than once.In a Re-viewing, I'd place ITB first, for chronalogical reasons, because I know the secrets. As an introduction, it's not bad. Not good, mind you, but doesn't really spoil the suprises to come.

It spoils Sinclair, the earth minbari war cause and the role of the vorlons. That's way too much to spoil for first time viewers. Up until the Coming of shadows we really don't know what the Vorlons role is or plans for us are.

AlanMoore March 16th 14 16:54

I'm trying to see B5 for the first time. Before I begin, I'm trying to find the right order, but it seems it's not that simple, a situation worst than The Prisoner episodes order.
In your experience, (and without giving me too many explanations because of spoilers :D ) do you reckon the JMS' one is the right viewing order to follow?
It seems very odd to me to see the season finale of 4th season as the series finale... Too timey-wimey, if you allow me :klingon:

Sorry for the english and thanks :)

Jan March 16th 14 23:36

Really, don't worry about it in the slightest. Watch 'The Gathering' and then the episodes in the order they come on the DVDs and simply get immersed in the story for the first time. You won't really appreciate the nuances until the second time, anyway so just concentrate on it as presented in the simplest way possible - which is how those of us who watched it in its first run saw it.

Enjoy. I envy you your first two viewings!

Jan

Anna1984 March 17th 14 09:52

The Gathering is for me really the movie to look at the first and then I just go how the dvd's are in the box.
I'm rewatching B5 and i Think I will do it this time by the list.

AlanMoore March 17th 14 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 447545)
Really, don't worry about it in the slightest. Watch 'The Gathering' and then the episodes in the order they come on the DVDs and simply get immersed in the story for the first time. You won't really appreciate the nuances until the second time, anyway so just concentrate on it as presented in the simplest way possible - which is how those of us who watched it in its first run saw it.

Jan

So, there is no need to watch the movies in the order JMS himself advices, between the episodes of the series?
Just out of curiosity, does it make sense the suggestion to watch the season 4 finale as series finale? (no spoilers, of course... just be vague :D )

KoshN March 17th 14 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanMoore (Post 447569)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 447545)

Jan

So, there is no need to watch the movies in the order JMS himself advices, between the episodes of the series?
Just out of curiosity, does it make sense the suggestion to watch the season 4 finale as series finale? (no spoilers, of course... just be vague :D )

I stand by this....

http://www.b5tv.com/showpost.php?p=349849&postcount=3

....order. If you do not watch the TV movies where they are supposed to go chronologically, keep in mind when watching them where they are supposed to go, i.e. what timeframe they're from.. HOWEVER, watch The Gathering FIRST.