• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Epiphanies

The Hour Of The Wolf

• C -- Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D -- Poor

• F -- Failure

• Total voters
Here's my favorite line from this ep...

Sheridan to Bester:

"Oh you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it, and feed your charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra."

Classic!!!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

my favorite line has to be garabaldi saying to gkar in his room where garabaldi finds girls underwear in gkars rooms and gkar says there your mothers and then garabaldi stretches them out and says no these would be my mothers

B. It's good but it's not epic.

Curious how Bester made no inquisition as to the whereabouts as to his beloved friend Mr. Garibaldi.

Any time an episode follows one that was very heavy in plot and/or action, it suffers by comparison. That certainly applies to this one. Having Bester show up does reconnect it to the arc, and the Earth machinations hint at what is yet to come. The uneasy truce between Bester and B5 holds, just barely, for now.

Interesting to see Sheridan and Delenn during the celebrations - they're not down among the people, but watching from above. That has something detached, also something godlike or angelic, to it.

I assume that Bester means Garibaldi by the "ace in the hole". I can't recall anything else that would fit that description.

I like Delenn's analysis of Sheridan's personality - the imploding head is a very funny image. It's also fun to see G'Kar approaching/being approached by others who are apprehensive (Garibaldi and Londo) and realizing what a positive attitude he has found for what has happened to him.

Ah, another very short episode thread! This is a good episode, though! Not quite as intense as the ones right before it, but there is still a lot of stuff going on.

I like the celebrations and fireworks and stuff. It's nice to see some happy times. Stuff is going to get serious again soon enough ...

Garibaldi stuff still really makes me nervous. It will continue to do so for the rest of the 4th season.

I find the Elvis impersonators arriving just as Zack commented on having to get out of there because who knows what else is going to come through the door next pretty amusing.

It's kind of amazing Bester is still alive, what with being such a ... Bester. I like how he casually tries to scan the people in the conference room only to get slapped down by a surprisingly strong Lyta. Bester's monologue at the end is super creepy and WHY is he saying all that stuff out loud? The girlfriend is in cryo freeze anyway, so she can't hear him, but why not tell her the whole story telepathically? Of course that'd make it harder for the audience to be filled in, but it would be rather safer for Bester. What if someone heard him?

Poor regent Virini :( No pastels for you.

Zack and his pizza. Classic.

The tone of this episode is somewhat jarring next to the end of the Shadow War, and even with the events within this episode. There are some big thing happening – Garibaldi resigning, Earth stepping up its campaign against B5, the destruction of Z'Ha'Dum, the arrival of the Drakh on Centauri Prime – but there's a lot of comedy too. It doesn't nullify the drama, just sits a bit ill at ease with it. The three Elvis's (Elvii?) take me out of the episode somewhat too.

I like some of the attention to detail in this episode, like Lyta's Zocolo shopping bags and the party decorations still being on the floor in the central corridor halfway through the episode. Looks like the command staff have a swanky new conference table too – I don't recall seeing it in previous episodes.

I'm surprised that the command staff react so suspiciously to Garibaldi's resignation – his reasoning makes perfect sense! Especially given all the things he's been through. I can see they would be disappointed, but I'm surprised by the lack of understanding.

I get why Sheridan had to reprimand Lyta – except that she is not part of his command structure and is under no obligation to uphold his command decisions. But she even calls him 'sir' so she's compounding things herself. Sheridan really should have brought her under his command in an official capacity if he wants her to follow his decisions. I suppose it would back up Garibaldi's viewpoint, that Sheridan is building his own little fiefdom and dictating matters to everyone. It just seems a little naive of Sheridan (or perhaps arrogant) to assume Lyta is under his command.

I get why Sheridan had to reprimand Lyta – except that she is not part of his command structure and is under no obligation to uphold his command decisions. But she even calls him 'sir' so she's compounding things herself. Sheridan really should have brought her under his command in an official capacity if he wants her to follow his decisions. I suppose it would back up Garibaldi's viewpoint, that Sheridan is building his own little fiefdom and dictating matters to everyone. It just seems a little naive of Sheridan (or perhaps arrogant) to assume Lyta is under his command.

Yea, that's an excellent point. They had Marcus in their "inner circle". Ivanova had some issues with that at first, but she came around. There's no reason they couldn't have invented a position for Lyta. She certainly deserved to be on the payroll ...

his reasoning makes perfect sense!

I was thinking that too, on this last re-watch. It sounds reasonable enough when he explains his reasons for resigning. We, the audience, know what we know, and therefore it's suspicious to us, but it shouldn't necessarily be suspicious to them ... On the other hand, maybe it really is totally out of character for him to be behaving in that way. I don't know.

How to follow the Shadow War conclusion directly was always going to be a very tough choice I would say although potentially ending the series after the 4th season probably gave JMS little choice, he had to shift things forward fairly quickly. It might have been nice to have an episode or two of smaller scale more character focused plots though.

As far as the characters reactions to Garibaldi's choice goes I would say one of the reasons that whole plot is effective even though we know "something" has happened to him he is also talking a lot of sense. Most obviously when it comes to questioning Sheridans potential demagoguery but also asking the "what then?" question to the other characters might do with there lives after everythings over, most obviously in retrospect Marcus/Ivanova.

The situation with Lyta could be viewed as the former but I think it perhaps highlights more the transition from the shadow conflict to the earth conflict. In the former so much of what went on was really down to trust rather than legality. You could even argue really that none of the earth force staff needed to accept the chain of command when B5 left but even more obviously Sheridan isn't leading the other worlds based on any legal authority but rather a sense of trust. Going into the earth story the morals of the conflict aren't so black and white and that sense of trust ultimately needs to give way to something legal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back