B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.related (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Reaction videos (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=46031)

Springer October 18th 22 21:19

Re: Reaction videos
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karajorma (Post 469071)
And meanwhile B5 for the first time is an episode away from Chrysalis

I have to admit, I had to stop watching them. I think the last one of theirs that I watched was Signs and Portents. Are they still doing their 'would it make a good Star Trek episode?' schtick? It just felt to me that they didn't really 'get' B5 - their favourite episodes are the most Star Trek-like ones and they measure everything in terms of how it compares to Trek.

And I got a bit tired of them criticising Michael O'Hare. I asked in the YouTube comments if they could hold judgement at least until the beginning of season 2, and received a fairly blunt reply that no they're going to continue saying how they think he damages the show. It just felt a bit dismissive.

I realised I was watching certain reaction videos, such as theirs, to try and find justification for how I feel about the show, which I guess stems from some failing of my own. So I stopped watching.

I still watch Medusa Cascade though, just for the honest emotions, though I think she hit her peak in season 3. She feels a bit more reserved in her season 4 vids!

Karajorma October 19th 22 03:59

Re: Reaction videos
 
I find them very critical of the show, but they clearly like it so it's not a bad thing. I tend to find that when it comes to O'Hare people tend to either love or hate him the first time they watch.



I tend to think it's fair for them to react to the shows as they watch them. Someone did make them aware of O'Hare's mental health issues and they did ease off on him after that.

Moonface October 28th 22 15:28

Re: Reaction videos
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Springer (Post 469076)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karajorma (Post 469071)
And meanwhile B5 for the first time is an episode away from Chrysalis

I have to admit, I had to stop watching them. I think the last one of theirs that I watched was Signs and Portents. Are they still doing their 'would it make a good Star Trek episode?' schtick? It just felt to me that they didn't really 'get' B5 - their favourite episodes are the most Star Trek-like ones and they measure everything in terms of how it compares to Trek.

And I got a bit tired of them criticising Michael O'Hare. I asked in the YouTube comments if they could hold judgement at least until the beginning of season 2, and received a fairly blunt reply that no they're going to continue saying how they think he damages the show. It just felt a bit dismissive.

I realised I was watching certain reaction videos, such as theirs, to try and find justification for how I feel about the show, which I guess stems from some failing of my own. So I stopped watching.

I still watch Medusa Cascade though, just for the honest emotions, though I think she hit her peak in season 3. She feels a bit more reserved in her season 4 vids!

I still like to watch them. They are very thorough and most of their criticism I find really fair. And I really like that they are obviously paying attention. They are picking up on a lot of "breadcrumbs" and they do hit the bullseye with some of their theories about future events just based on that.

In the meantime they did find out for themselves that their scoring system is lacking as they keep running into the "problem" that they give the episode 0 deltas, yet liked it very much. I think in the aftermath of the chrysalis episode they asked their viewers to suggest a symbol they can use to grade how much they actually liked the episode itself, without having to resort only to their original idea of rating how much of a "hope for the future" quality this episode has.

So I guess we'll keep seeing them grading future episodes with X amount of deltas and Y amount of starfuries (or whatever) und when B5 get's really going I guess there will be longer phases in which they will grade very low on the delta scale but quite high in the starfury scale...

vacantlook November 6th 22 01:21

Re: Reaction videos
 
Aside from Medusa Cascade, who for me is the current top tier standard of B5 reactions, I've lately gotten into the "Grey 17 Babylon 5 Podcast," which is on YouTube in addition to podcast-specific sites. They have a larger number of participants than I expected when I first pressed play, and they are an even mix of those well acquainted with the show and newcomers. Their most recent was for the episode "Eyes."

Looney November 6th 22 15:53

Re: Reaction videos
 
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm so annoyed!!!!! Five years ago I tried to get the guy I have a YouTube Channel with to do a Babylon 5 show and he has fought it ever since. Now EVERYONE is doing one and and we'll never find an audience!!!!! Plus he is now insisting he wants to do it as a Podcast because it will be easier to edit. :rolleyes:

EVERYONE PLEASE START SENDING ME SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT YOU WOULD LOVE TO SEE IN BABYLON 5 RELATED VIDEOS AND/OR PODCASTS DONE BY A NEWBIE WHO IS A SCIENCE FICTION FAN AND YOUR'S TRULY. ;););)


I need to get him going on this, but he keeps stalling. In fairness it doesn't look like it, but what we do takes a lot of work and we are both very busy people.

HMMMMM should I start a thread with this question? . . . . . .

:)

hypatia November 7th 22 03:17

Re: Reaction videos
 
Do you ever do an episode on your own? Itís too bad, that would have been fun to watch. Iíve seen a You Tube video or two on a possible B5 revival, but not a bunch of them.

Looney November 7th 22 06:29

Re: Reaction videos
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypatia (Post 469346)
Do you ever do an episode on your own?

No I am strictly behind the scenes producing, writing, and directing. He has all of the equipment, ability to edit, and desire to see himself on the screen. I did one myself from start to finish, but it took forever using the equipment I have all to get about a minute worth of video. And if you saw me on camera you would likely stop watching. :guffaw:

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypatia (Post 469346)
Itís too bad, that would have been fun to watch. Iíve seen a You Tube video or two on a possible B5 revival, but not a bunch of them.

I have seen five or so talking about revivals and several reaction videos.

LateArrival November 7th 22 21:06

Re: Reaction videos
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Looney (Post 469337)

EVERYONE PLEASE START SENDING ME SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT YOU WOULD LOVE TO SEE IN BABYLON 5 RELATED VIDEOS AND/OR PODCASTS DONE BY A NEWBIE WHO IS A SCIENCE FICTION FAN AND YOUR'S TRULY. ;);):)

Maybe something that hasn't been done before, but besides subscribing to MC, have only sampled a few others so wouldn't know what has/hasn't been tried. Has anyone covered only the Arc shows/scenes and what the consequences are later (or earlier :)) in the series? The Babylon File was a two book series that - along with some funny errors - had a section after each episode summary that discussed Arc points.


...and if memory serves, the author wrote that Garibaldi and Delenn left together for Mars at the end of Objects at Rest.

hypatia November 10th 22 02:41

Re: Reaction videos
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Looney (Post 469347)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypatia (Post 469346)
Do you ever do an episode on your own?

No I am strictly behind the scenes producing, writing, and directing. He has all of the equipment, ability to edit, and desire to see himself on the screen. I did one myself from start to finish, but it took forever using the equipment I have all to get about a minute worth of video. And if you saw me on camera you would likely stop watching. :guffaw:

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypatia (Post 469346)
Itís too bad, that would have been fun to watch. Iíve seen a You Tube video or two on a possible B5 revival, but not a bunch of them.

I have seen five or so talking about revivals and several reaction videos.

That's really interesting. Nothing wrong with being behind the camera.

vacantlook November 13th 22 03:22

Re: Reaction videos
 
Found another reactor on YouTube that I've been enjoying (I haven't watched all of her videos for B5 yet though).

Shelley's Babylon 5 reaction playlist.

.


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:15.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©2001 - 2018 B5TV.COM