• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: The Long, Twilight Struggle

In The Shadow Of Z'ha'dum

• B -- Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C -- Average

• D -- Poor

• F -- Failure

• Total voters
Ah, yes - The Long, Twilight Struggle. After 'The Coming Of Shadows', my second favourite Season 2 episode. It's the sense of helpless foreboding that surrounds this episode that really makes it for me - you just know it's going to end badly. The Shadows really begin to come to the fore, prefiguring their central role in Season 3.

And Londo starting to sense that he really doesn't have the backbone to see his decisions all the way through, but feeling that he can't get off the treadmill.

Simply awesome.

Oh, I sure agree; I think this is a very excellent episode. There's just so much heavy stuff in it for both Londo and G'Kar. Very impressive.

(One rather unimportant peeve of mine though is that I wish the revelation of the Rangers to Sheridan at the end had had more Rangers in Ranger uniform though. :p )

I'm being stingy with my A's, but this one gets one. Very powerful. The shot of Londo watching the bombardment of Narn is one of the best in the series.

A all the way.

The Narn-Centauri plot is so striking that even the plot regarding the great machine on Epsilon III seems unimportant. The shouting match where Londo demands that G'Kar stand down from the advisory council is pure gold, especially with G'Kar's unforgettable rebuttal.

This is one of the most quotable episodes of the entire series.

And I admit, I am a fan of Londo's exchange with Lord Refa concerning the bombardment of Narn:

" (Londo in horror) Mass drivers?! They have been outlawed by every civilized planet."
" (Refa, unphased) These are uncivilized times."
"We have treaties!"
"Ink on a page!"

Yes. This is an episode that screams "there is no turning back now". Call it fate or call it the momentum of events, it really feels, for some reason, as if everything before has been prelude, and this is where "it" really begins.

Yeah, hyp's right. With the Shadows helping the Centauri and the Narn homeworld falling, you begin to get a sense of foreboding, like this is the point where things begin to go badly for everyone, not just the Narns.

This is a brilliant episode. I love the battles between the Narn and the Shadows, Londo watching the Centauri pummel the Narn homeworld, and Londo and G'Kar's confrontation in the council chambers afterwords. Fabulous stuff.

The riot in the Zocalo is rather comical though, and the extras brought in to play the Rangers in the final scene don't really look the type to be highly trained, spiritual warriors preparing for the war against the Shadows, but that's just a minor quibble.

One thing that had always puzzled me though. The great 'Forbidden Planet'-esque chambers in Epsilon 3 seem to have had a makeover since season 1. Are we to assume that Draal redecorated, of did the SFX people forget what it looked like? I much preferred the season 1 look. Also, its gone from being five miles below the surface to just three miles.

This is actually my favourite episode of the entire 5 year run. It just pushes all the characters to their limits, moves the plot along, has some of the best writing, and is brilliantly directed.

The bombing of the Narn homeworld and the council scene later in the episode almost always move me to tears. Andreas and Peter put on a striking performance, and by the end of the episode, it's been re-inforced that it *is* indeed the best television show ever.

I'm glad I got this one on DVD, as my VHS was really beginning to show its age ;)

One thing that had always puzzled me though. The great 'Forbidden Planet'-esque chambers in Epsilon 3 seem to have had a makeover since season 1. Are we to assume that Draal redecorated, of did the SFX people forget what it looked like? I much preferred the season 1 look. Also, its gone from being five miles below the surface to just three miles.

Draal probably redecorated. :LOL: Even he looks different than he did in season 1. (Different actor of course. ;) )

The picture of Londo looking out the window at the devastation he has brought about and G'kar's quote make this one of the great episodes of the series, that is for sure.

"No dictator... no invader... can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand. The Centauri learned this lesson once. We will teach it to them again. Though it take a thousand years, we will be free."

I watched this ep tonight, and even after having seen it more times than I can count, I still get goosebumps from watching it! :eek: The battle scenes are superb!

Every time I see the Narn fleet trying to escape, I keep thinking, "Come on... come on..." even though I know they won't make it.

I think this episode confirmed for me how much I loved this show, i remeber taping it and watching it half a dozen times. The two main effects sequences are superb. The plot threads of Sheridan's conspiracy and the Narn war coming together was also a great moment...

This is definitely one of the top episodes of the second season! The overall impression is that of character development - the attention is spread out rather than concentrated on one or two persons. Sheridan and Delenn's relationship is developing, not always so obviously as to be emphasized, but noticeably. Delenn is being shown as a strong character, what with the leadership of the Rangers.

Lord Refa's role is developed and his machinations and behind the scene scheming are shown. Londo is torn between two attitudes - the lighting during his scene with Refa is starkly contrasting, showing the juxtaposition of light and shadow.

G'Kar is developing away from the militant leader to a more spiritual role - he is praying, not fighting, during this episode. He is more thoughtful and sad than we've seen him before.

There are two "too late"s in this episode, a theme that pops up frequently. G'Kar's warning to his people is too late, they cannot or will not change their plans at the last minute. Refa tells Londo it's too late for him to reconsider his actions.

Does anyone know if there was a reason for the change in actors for Draal? The explanation given does pick it up and integrate it into the story.

I must chime in with the many who have mentioned the scene where Londo looks out of the spaceship window - that is brilliant acting and directing, and writing too.

The candles going out and being snuffed at the end are a wonderfully symbolic image!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back