B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   Questions & suggestions (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The future of B5TV (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=46011)

AntonyF September 29th 21 16:19

The future of B5TV

I've been thinking for a while that I would upgrade B5TV from its steampunk system, if only because I feel an obligation to preserve some B5 history.

Now, with the latest news, I think it's even more important.

I would love to cover news, but I think I'm just too old and lazy now. That period of just pouring my life into a website is over! But the forums at least need a refit.

Stay tuned?

Kyehlar September 29th 21 17:29

Re: The future of B5TV

I kinda like the retro feel to things. Like you, Antony, I'm too old and lazy to learn new message board tricks.

Springer September 29th 21 18:41

I quite like the retro look to the forums too but the site needs to be tailored for use on phones etc so a reboot of the forums is probably necessary.

I have just been thinking we need a news website as well as a forum. I'd be interested in contributing.

AntonyF September 29th 21 18:45

The other issue is spam. I have turned off registration and they have to email for a password, which is not good long term.

Also it's not retro, it's vintage. This is proper 2001 beginnings. :) We didn't even have iPhones then.

Kyehlar September 29th 21 20:46

You have a point. I'd just hate for it to get too complicated to use. I just came back after all lol

AntonyF September 30th 21 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyehlar (Post 465320)
You have a point. I'd just hate for it to get too complicated to use. I just came back after all lol

I'd use the same system I implemented at www.trekbbs.com if you want a preview :)

Kyehlar October 1st 21 06:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntonyF (Post 465324)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyehlar (Post 465320)

I'd use the same system I implemented at www.trekbbs.com if you want a preview :)

TrekBBS is still going? I thought that place was as dead as SlipstreamBBS lol

Good to know though. I think very few sites from that era are still up and running.

darth_librarian October 1st 21 11:22

Personally, I love the old-school feel as it gives me nostalgia. But if you want new audiences then an upgrade is the way forward.

tygirwulf October 2nd 21 01:57

trek bbs looks fine to me, just keep the dark blue/purple theme here please. All the white hurts my eyes and I find black equally annoying.

Certainly a newer forum software would be more secure, and I'm guessing, also easier to administrate.

Kyehlar October 2nd 21 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by tygirwulf (Post 465349)
trek bbs looks fine to me, just keep the dark blue/purple theme here please. All the white hurts my eyes and I find black equally annoying.

Agreed. Bright light kill Gizmo!