• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5 Related Videos on YouTube

Looney

Regular
Randomly searching around here I did not find any threads that covered a generalized spectrum of this topic, so I am starting one because I have questions. I don't think I need to start a thread related to every YouTube video about B5 that inspires me to ask questions so here is a general thread about B5 YouTube related videos.

I've been watching a lot of B5 related videos on YouTube lately and there is a channel that really has me puzzled, Pax Deorum. I guess what I am puzzled by is where are they getting their information? They have all of these videos about the ships of Babylon 5 and I am wondering where it all came from because I certainly didn't hear all of this stuff in the series. My guess is from different gaming books maybe? If anyone knows I'd certainly love to hear an explanation.

Ohhhh . .there’s a few such channels like that on youtube covering ship designs including those on Babylon 5, and they can be pretty difficult to listen to most of the time. But then again, that in-universe type stuff isn't an area I'm interested in.

The one that comes to mind is Fleet Yards – run by two Trek fans who seem to get let out of their cell on a regular basis and are really clueless. They're in a league of they’re own. Though I’m none too fond of how they got hold of some of the original 3D models (I know how they got them) and try to make out they made them look pretty good at high resolutions. . . . They look good without that eejit claiming he did it (though funnily he says things that do suggest someone else rendered them). Yet they seem to be afraid of some curse if they do anything other than randomly insert the occasional name of a designer. Or what not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXMRtHDMMUc

Funny thing is, I only found out about them a while back when I was approached by someone who knows them and it was suggested I might get involved – so I could direct them to a bit of factual content during their ramblings into unfamiliar territory, and as they’re quite popular it would let more folks find B5Scrolls. . . Yeah, Like that was ever going to happen. I’d have ended up getting an international arrest warrant issued after the first 30 seconds with them.

As for where these sites get their facts - the fleet yard pair are more about just sitting staring at a camera for half an hour with a mildly confused appearance saying the first thing that comes into their head. Variety of places. B5Tech is often a big source – contains stats and history. It used to contain a LOT of fan speculation while piecing bits from various sources together and weaving it into an explanation for this and that. Though most entries on that site are half the length they used to be. Still has some “academic” papers and essays on a few subjects. Then there's the various fan theories that popped up and were discussed, sometimes at length, on old forums set up just for that purpose,. There's also the various books provided as supplements to things like the B5Wars game. . . . Cherry pick stuff from all that to give some kind of coherent sounding narrative – and make something new up to give you’re explanation a bit of uniqueness to it - and bob’s you’re auntie.

Even though I’m taking the piss a bit. What they’re doing is still perfectly understandable though. Stuff like that was never produced officially (closest would be the various game supplements, though fans creating their own explanations would ignore the bits they didn't agree with). It’s an area some fans get a kick out of – especially if their into cross universe debates - so over the years various folk have just tried to fill the gaps, and these youtube channels are just the latest version of that going on – and building on what had been theorised in the past.. In a way, much of what they say is stuff that’s been put together over years of debates – facts by consensus if you like, with their own added twist which might or might not get picked up by the next guy doing it.
Harmless fun, especially if you're into that side of things.

Last edited:
Ohhhh . .there’s a few such channels like that on youtube covering ship designs including those on Babylon 5, and they can be pretty difficult to listen to most of the time. But then again, that in-universe type stuff isn't an area I'm interested in.

The one that comes to mind is Fleet Yards – run by two Trek fans who seem to get let out of their cell on a regular basis and are really clueless. They're in a league of they’re own. Though I’m none too fond of how they got hold of some of the original 3D models (I know how they got them) and try to make out they made them look pretty good at high resolutions. . . . They look good without that eejit claiming he did it. Yet seem to be afraid of some curse if they do anything other than randomly insert the occasional name of a designer. Or what not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXMRtHDMMUc

Funny thing is, I only found out about them a while back when I was approached by someone who knows them and it was suggested I might get involved – so I could direct them to a bit of factual content during their ramblings into unfamiliar territory, and as they’re quite popular it would let more folks find B5Scrolls. . . Yeah, Like that was ever going to happen. I’d have ended up getting an international arrest warrant issued after the first 30 seconds with them.

As for where these sites get their facts - the fleet yard pair are more about just sitting staring at a camera for half an hour with a mildly confused appearance saying the first thing that comes into their head. Variety of places. B5Tech is often a big source – contains stats and history. It used to contain a LOT of fan speculation while piecing bits from various sources together and weaving it into an explanation for this and that. Though most entries on that site are half the length they used to be. Still has some “academic” papers and essays on a few subjects. Then there's the various fan theories that popped up and were discussed, sometimes at length, on old forums set up just for that purpose,. There's also the various books provided as supplements to things like the B5Wars game. . . . Cherry pick stuff from all that to give some kind of coherent sounding narrative – and make something new up to give you’re explanation a bit of uniqueness to it - and bob’s you’re auntie.

Even though I’m taking the piss a bit. What they’re doing is still perfectly understandable though. Stuff like that was never produced officially (closest would be the various game supplements, though fans creating their own explanations would ignore the bits they didn't agree with). It’s an area some fans get a kick out of – especially if their into cross universe debates - so over the years various folk have just tried to fill the gaps, and these youtube channels are just the latest version of that going on – and building on what had been theorised in the past.. In a way, much of what they say is stuff that’s been put together over years of debates – facts by consensus if you like, with their own added twist which might or might not get picked up by the next guy doing it.
Harmless fun, especially if you're into that side of things.

HAHAHAHA yes that is exactly the explanation I wanted to read. I would enjoy them so much more if they didn't try to convince me it was based in fact or add historical context like what happened during the Dilgar War. I would love it if it were real, but it is not so they should post it like it is. Thanks for fact checking Triple F. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back