• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

DVD Extras

Frizzell

Beyond the rim
Quick Question:

Over the past few months, I have been introducing a friend to the show. She is dying to see what Londo and G'kar look like without their makeup. She loves the Fugitive. Therefore, I told her to simply look at the killer for he is played by Andreas Katsulas, better known to her as G'kar. However, I am having difficulty in thinking of something that Peter Jurasik has appeared in other than Hill Street Blues. I admit that it has been awhile since I have watched any of the DVD extras, and I have not seen all of them. Is there anywhere on the DVDs that they show Jurasik without his makeup?

Thank you,

Frizzell

Also, there's always Peter Jurasik's appearence in the 1982 film TRON to fall back on. He plays one of the programs on the gaming grid named Crom, rubbing shoulders with a younger, nerdier version of our good friend Bruce Boxleitner well over a decade before they appeared together on Babylon 5. Though, on second thought, ol' Pete was covered in quite of lot of costume and makeup for that film, so that's probably not gonna give your friend any better of a look at him than she's already got. Wasn't he also in Runaway Jury?

If you're in the mood to rent a new DVD, go pick up "Runaway Jury". Peter Jurasik appears for about 30 seconds as a former college professor of John Cusack's character about 3/4's of the way through the film.

Also, there's always Peter Jurasik's appearence in the 1982 film TRON to fall back on. He plays one of the programs on the gaming grid named Crom, rubbing shoulders with a younger, nerdier version of our good friend Bruce Boxleitner well over a decade before they appeared together on Babylon 5.[snip]

In a strange "Six degrees of Keviin Bacon" kind of way, David Warner, who appeared in "Grail", was also in that film.

Of course, the less said about that episode, the better.

Yes, it was. :D

Even JMS has said he wouldn't mind if every copy of that episode mysteriously vanished and the negatives fell off the end of a pier somewhere. This episode doesn't even have a saving sub-plot like "TKO" and "Gray 17 Is Missing" had.

Yes, it was. :D

Even JMS has said he wouldn't mind if every copy of that episode mysteriously vanished and the negatives fell off the end of a pier somewhere. This episode doesn't even have a saving sub-plot like "TKO" and "Gray 17 Is Missing" had.

No, it wasn't. (I liked it too, Nancy. ;) )

Where's the quote where JMS said that? I don't think he was talking about "Grail" but rather the bullet scene from "Grey 17 is Missing."

Lurker's Guide "Grail" Page - nothing like that there. No mention of any pier.

06/09/1995 05:27 AM
"Yeah, I kinda guess that "Grail" would be my alternate for worst ep;
I guess I'm generally just harder on eps I wrote myself."

08/30/1995 04:49 PM
"What's great is that this season, we haven't had one single episode on
the level of War Prayer or Infection or Grail, some of our weaker first
season eps."

I especially liked the humor (Flinn at the trial, with Londo and Vir, re. the feeder, near the end of the ep., etc.). Plus, I liked Aldus and Jinxo.

This is how bad it was: it could have been plugged into DS9 as is and no one would have raised an eyebrow.

The worst ep of them all. Even the main charactors didn't act like themselves. Doesn't mean it was bad by Trek standards, though.

The odd thing is, I actually kinda like Grail and TKO. I might even like those two more than 3rd season's Exogenesis (although all three are among the more mediocre episodes).

Infection isn't that bad up until the last one or two acts--and then it sucks. I think it's actually Soul Hunter that I dislike the most thoroughly.

Huh!? JMS named the War Prayer as a weak episode!? It's one of my favourite season 1 eps. I found Shaal Mayan interesting. I woulda liked to have seen her again in the show, instead of just named.

This is how bad it was: it could have been plugged into DS9 as is and no one would have raised an eyebrow.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The worst ep of them all. Even the main charactors didn't act like themselves. Doesn't mean it was bad by Trek standards, though.

No, the worst ep. was Believers. I'll take even Grey 17 is Missing* over that one. :p

* I close my eyes during the "steam bullets" scene. Can't watch that part. :rolleyes: And yes, in general, I can watch the Zarg.

[No, the worst ep. was Believers.
Are you sure that Believers isn't a DS9 episode? :LOL:

You are correct in evaluating it as bad. But at least the charactors were in form, and the ending was very untrek. I thought as a story it was drek, but as a charactor study it had some moments. Cute kid syndrome was very evident, though.

Are you sure that Believers isn't a DS9 episode? :LOL:

As you pointed out, in the Trek universe the kid would live.

Both Believers and Grail worked for me (though they are not as good as *many* other B5 episodes). They both work not so much in the central stories themselves, but in the refelctions that they end up casting on the regular characters through their reactions. This is particularly true of the alien ambassadors (which by extension, because they are acting at least partially as official representatives, also illuminates attitudes and stances of their larger societies and governments). Had these episodes come later in the series they would have been pointless. Because they come early, while we (the audiance) are still learning about the universe and forming impressions, they serve a useful purpose.

Infection bugged me more (much like the Jeremiah Crichton episode of Farscape), precisely because it was indistinguishable from a bad Trek episode except for the character names (through much of Jeremiah Crichton I couldn't help but hear "I am Kirok!" echoing in the back of my head). At least Believers and Grail were actaully B5 eps, if somewhat weak ones, and not something that felt like it should be in a different universe.

Okay, pillowrock, you have convinced me to re-watch Grail just to see if my memory was defective and maybe there was something "in charactor" to the charactors, despite what I remember. After all, I make the same claim about the otherwise wretched Believers and the challenge is fair.

I will let you know.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back