• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Soul Hunter

Torpedo or Missile

• Total voters
Personally, I didn't find "Soul Hunter" to be all that much fun. I think, perhaps, that a large part of my dislike of the episode comes from the acting performance for the Soul Hunter himself, as well as a few times Delenn's reactions felt as if they crossed the boundary into super melodrama.

I did enjoy the big CGI scene of Sinclair in the starfury trying to grapple the damaged Soul Hunter ship. The amount of motion the "camera" had as the two ships whirled around in space was wicked cool, especially compared to most of the space special effects seen in other shows before B5 came along.

And I love the introduction of Franklin. Though I know this wasn't the first episode that Rick shot for B5, it was a good one for him. The best scene in the whole episode, for me, was the scene of Franklin and Ivanova standing in C&C launching the dead body of the lurker into the sun. The music that accompanies Franklin's pensive statements about life being brief just helps make the scene take my breath away.

Good opening episode of the series for the character of Delenn showing a little of her people's beliefs and superstitions about Minbar culture.

The Soul Hunter was an amazing character portrayed by an amazing actor. :cool:

Most of the episode might have been a bit cheesy (sorry, RW, ;)) but that actor was very well cast and very well used in this episode.

The idea of the Soul Hunters also gave the B5 universe a scary edge, IMHO. Some of the episode was rather over-done, maybe a bit melodramatic, but the Soul Hunter himself I couldn't stop watching, and particularly, listening to.

Bleh, I gave it a D. It might have been better suited mid-way through Season 1, but at episode #2 it just felt way too "out there."

Ah, the more out there, the more interesting when it comes to sci-fi. I know I am unusual in this opinion, though. :eek:

By the way, thanks for the quick reference to the episode, VL. I don't recognize most B5 episodes by title, so the link helps. :)

I don't dislike W Morgan Shephard as an actor -- I think he was great as G'Kar's uncle in the second season -- but I have always had trouble watching him as the Soul Hunter. I think what you liked about him in particular, hyp, (listening to him), is what I disliked about him as the Soul Hunter the most. There's just something about the delievery of the lines, or maybe just the scripting of the lines themselves, that kinda makes my brain twitch. I think the trance like state the Soul Hunters got in whenever they were sensing death is one of my primary annoyances with them. They hooped it up so much they might as well had a crystal ball and had a sign on their ships, "Tuesday only special: Touch the dead, only $10 credits!"

The story, I don't have a problem with, just the execution of the story.

By the way, thanks for the quick reference to the episode, VL. I don't recognize most B5 episodes by title, so the link helps.

I'm glad you find them usefull, hyp. I figured that there might would be someone coming along in these threads that hadn't heard of the Lurker's Guide and would find the information there interesting, or that we as we go through the episodes, might find something there we hadn't thought about before.

I gave 'Soul Hunter' a C. A so-so episode with comments that echo later on in the season (i.e. the Soul Hunter's comment to Delenn when he looks in her soul).

One of my favorite character moments is when Franklin is rushing around and suddenly whirls around cause he feels the Soul Hunter is looking at him. The facial expressions Rick Biggs had at the moment is great.

To me, Soul Hunter was the only episode where the acting seemed noticeably flat. On the other hand, the ideas of the Soul Hunter is very interesting. I guess it was ok.

Am I the only one who thought the Soul Hunter's performance was quite powerful and actually pretty amazing? :confused:

Just curious. I think a lot of what was around him was pretty melodramatic, but I really loved his delivery of that part. :cool:

I think the idea of capturing a soul is just stupid. Besides souls don't exist, and no the episode didn't leave it up to you- the things floated around and wanted to take their revenge on the soul hunter.

Ah! Well, of course souls don't exist. That is, after all, Franklin's opinion. And the Minbari don't know what they are talking about. It's all silly and ridiculous, and therefore makes for horrible fiction.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm being slightly irritable.

Personally I gave it a C.

The Soul Hunter was an amazing character portrayed by an amazing actor. :cool:

Most of the episode might have been a bit cheesy (sorry, RW, ;))

I agree on both points. I've read many complaints about W. Mongan Shepard's performance over the years, but I really liked it. He was one weird-ass dude. The episode was also good for the revelation about the death of Dukat and how the Minbari thwarted the Soul Hunters efforts to capture his soul (left out of "In he Beginning" so as not to confuse newcomers TOO much).

But the end with the flying orbs and Sinclair turning the soul sucker on him was a ghastly pungent stinky cheese.

Am I the only one who thought the Soul Hunter's performance was quite powerful and actually pretty amazing?

I dind't mean I thought the Soul Hunter himself was bad, but I found Ivonova and Sinclair kind of flat for the whole first half of the episode.

I think the idea of capturing a soul is just stupid. Besides souls don't exist, and no the episode didn't leave it up to you- the things floated around and wanted to take their revenge on the soul hunter.

In the B5 universe, souls DO exist, a "fact" that becomes very important in later episodes.

In the B5 universe, souls DO exist, a "fact" that becomes very important in later episodes.

The existance of souls in the B5 universe is never given a definite "yes they exist." We're given the beliefs from different characters as well as alternate, more mundane explanations, but never a flat-out "yes souls exist."

Hmm...I hadn't quite thought of it that way. So...what does the Soulhunter collect if it isn't...souls.

Imprints of personality, a person's thoughtpaths copied and recorded, like Franklin suggests could be possible.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back