• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Vir, Founlder, 25 Years Later...

FlipperPA

Regular
Animal House came out 25 years ago. Or something Nieremeyer... dead!

Okay, so Vir... Flounder?... is an all time crowd favorite... right?

Well, he's one of mine.

All that Vir and Flounder nonsense aside, Stephen Furst is not only a person to be admired - his battle against his weight aside - but a FINE actor. He's easily recognized as one of the top 10 American actors out there who haven't been given props. Sure, he's typecast now, but I believe after working with the likes of Jurasik (underappreciated) and Katsulas (also underappreciated) that he has the experience to continue to do wonderful things.

If you go to CNN.COM and click on Entertainment, you will notice that ANIMAL HOUSE is featured prominently.

You will also notice that Stephen Furst is not noted. However, his character, Flounder, is mentioned.

You will also note that while many other "actors" are noted, Stephen continues to be the hero... of the cast.

While "Animal House" is one of my favorite films of all time, Stephen Furst continues to be one of my favorite actors of all time. More to the point, Mr. Furst continues to be one of my favorite directors of all time. Mr. Furst continues to be the only man who can sell me on the B5 universe other than JMS. Furst is the only man JMS has trusted in "time warp" episodes of B5 - "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars", "The Illusion of Truth", and that Crusade episode whose name I can't remember. (KoshN, help me here!)

Anyway, I hope you get my point. While Doyle/Garibaldi may be pushing the B5 envelope, without JMS there is nothing.

I would continue to say that Vir / Stephen Furst defined what B5 was all about - learning, living, and improving one's self. And never believing you're stuck.

Vir believed it.

Stephen believed it.

I believe it.

Just look at his waist.

That's my 2 cents.

Regards,

-Tim

The Friday night edition of Nightline with Ted Koppel, was all about the 25th Aniversary of Animal House, and had plenty of mention of Flounder, and some nice, recent interview clips with Stephen Furst, who they said is directing now. No mentions of B5, since it was about AH. Elvis Mitchell, one of my favorite film critics, and several AH actors, director John Landis, and others provided a good discussion of AH, how subversive it was, and its effect on later films. There is probably some info on it at the ABC website.

Darn!

I really wish I hadn't missed that... I'm going to check TiVo to see if they're re-airing it. What a brilliant film...

-Tim

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back