B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   Non-B5 books, TV & films (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sci-Fi Channel continues to hit new lows... (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=3214)

FlipperPA February 9th 03 22:51

Sci-Fi Channel continues to hit new lows...

Just when you thought it wasn't possible to fall any lower... with the likes of Knight Rider... the Sci-Fi Channel is currently airing "The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas". Could someone PLEASE explain to me how this is science fiction? Following this fine film... "Casper." While that *might* barely qualify as sci-fi, I find it depressing and pathetic!

-Tim

Shaal Mayan February 9th 03 23:36

Re: Sci-Fi Channel continues to hit new lows...

I guess they are trying to attract a new audience other than hardcore SF fans .As for the Flinstones I am enjoying I actually the two movies .

KoshFan February 10th 03 13:33

Of course they're trying to diversify. The hard-core sci-fi fan market isn't big enough to support them, or so they think.

If they ever actually aired good stuff, that might be very different.

hypatia February 10th 03 13:43

Some people liked their Dune miniseries, some hated it, I know. I thought it was entertaining enough. But I think it was a real block-buster ratings winner for them. And Dune is definitely good science fiction (whether or not you liked the miniseries, most people probably think the source material was good at least).

I don't understand why they believe in sci-fi for that miniseries, but not for their regular series. It really must come down to production costs.

But if that were true, wouldn't they be begging JMS to do something for them? I thought he was well known for keeping his budgets down. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

FunkyMikeMoses February 10th 03 14:29

Well, there's apparently been a change in policy at sci-fi in that they're moving away from space based shows (one of the reasons 'Rangers' didn't make it). I heard that the jms project Polaris was decided against as Sci-fi decided to take on more mainstream stuff.

Such as...erm..Flinstones?

weird...

Fas February 10th 03 14:46

let me see if i got this straight... someone still checks out what those morons are doing? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] the hell with them.

Quote:

Antony: Turn off, go elsewhere, buy DVDs, whatever takes your fancy.

FlipperPA February 10th 03 15:01

Quote:

let me see if i got this straight... someone still checks out what those morons are doing? the hell with them.

I noticed while flipping through the TiVo guide... I wasn't actually *watching* the channel. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

At least Lexx is back on, albeit at 2am!

-Tim

KoshN February 10th 03 20:09

Quote:

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Fas: </font color>
let me see if i got this straight... someone still checks out what those morons are doing? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] the hell with them.

There's a certain morbid facsination to watching a train wreck. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] The Sci-Fi Channel is a train wreck in progress.

FlipperPA February 11th 03 01:10

Morbid fascination is right! Its amazing that a channel that just 2 years ago held the majority (about 8 or 9 hours a week, on average) of my television viewing time will have none as soon as Farscape wraps up.

Its a good thing 24 and Alias are still going to be around, or I'd get a life or something when Buffy wraps up as well!

-Tim

AntonyF February 11th 03 10:17

Not B5 related.

Moving to other TV shows etc. forum.