B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EpDis: Rising Star (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=9226)

vacantlook August 16th 06 17:44

EpDis: Rising Star

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for Rising Star
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for Rising Star

vacantlook August 18th 06 15:23

Re: EpDis: Rising Star

Ivanova's crying breakdown scene with Franklin on the floor of the medlab is one of the greatest dramatic moments of the show, in my opinion.

RW7427 August 18th 06 15:38

Indeed it is!

GaribaldisHair August 18th 06 16:46

'At least I should have boffed him just once.'

:D

Sindatur August 18th 06 17:31

"Did you just say boffed"?

deaded August 26th 06 08:14

Definitely up there among the top 30.

Elipsis February 1st 08 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by vacantlook (Post 267444)
Ivanova's crying breakdown scene with Franklin on the floor of the medlab is one of the greatest dramatic moments of the show, in my opinion.

Indeed. And the episode gives a wonderful sense of closure... completely justified and well executed considering the uncertainty of season 5 at the time.

Who knew CC could act so well. Too bad we don't get to see it until practically her last appearance.

A.

maneth February 2nd 08 08:05

Indeed that's a real shame. One of the best episodes of the latter half of the 4th season.

Estelyn November 4th 10 22:42

This episode ties up a lot of loose ends. That gives many of the ensemble actors at least a scene or two, as well as adding guest actors such as the one who portrays President Luchenko - and the ISN anchor. Once again the newscast is used as a connecting element, providing background and transition.

I wonder just who is meant to be the title character, the "rising star"? Is it Luchenko, or Sheridan, both new presidents? Or is it more abstract and meant to refer to the Alliance?

Luchenko is very well portrayed. I was impressed by her measured vocal cadence, speaking quite slowly at the press conference to convey a calming influence. Yet she also came across as a hard-headed politician who accomplished what needed to be done - very pragmatic.

I agree with the above posts - Ivanova had what is probably her best scene in the whole show. She shows the difficulty of accepting the gift of life and love - nothing sweet about it! Her line that all love is unrequited is thought-provoking, though I'm not sure I agree. Certainly Delenn and Sheridan show that it can be reciprocated.

It*'s fun to see G'Kar and Londo with the strange, humorous "odd couple" kind of relationship they're developing.

Marcus' death finds meaning in Delenn's explanation - he has finally found peace by following the path of his heart. Once again we see Lennier's unrequited love for her in their scene together.

Garibaldi gets the action scene, rescuing Lise in his own inimitable way.

Even Bester shows up, sinister in one way, yet basically begging for Sheridan's help (already past) for his lover.

Sheridan is the man of the hour, of course - not only the conquering hero, but with prophetic insight, predicting the telepath wars. I like his speech about choices, consequences, and responsibility: some of the show's major themes. He again uses the phrase "all children of earth".

Much as I enjoy seeing a wedding, I think it's good that Sheridan's and Delenn's was not shown. It would not really have fit into the context of the show. It does amuse me to think of all the Minbari rituals they must have skipped; after the events of the past episodes, they apparently didn't want to waste any more time.

G'Kar's eye in their bedroom?! That's rather silly, I think. I do like the Narn's statement: "You do not make history, you only survive it."

And what Delenn says applies to the show as well as to the station: "Babylon 5 endures."

Lennier's Tears March 2nd 15 03:14

I don't like this episode AS much as the one right before it, but it does have a lot of good stuff in it. It just kind of makes me sad. It wraps up all these storylines I've gotten caught up in, and it has Marcus' death and Ivanova's departure.

Already mentioned above, but I have to agree: That scene with Ivanova crying on the floor in medlab is utterly heartbreaking. I can't watch that without crying. I have a question about it, though. I'm assuming that the body under sheet in the background is Marcus'. But, don't we see him in a freezer later on? If they were going to freeze him, why do they just let him sit out under a sheet?

Also, it occurred to me today for the first time that people in medlab drop stuff a lot. A couple of doctors (or other medical professionals) walk into the room where Marcus and Ivanova are hooked up to the alien healing device early on in the episode. They're carefully picking their way through the chaos Marcus left in his wake, so they know something is up, yet one of them still drops the stuff she is holding when they see Marcus. There was a similar scene just a few episodes ago (The Exercise of Vital Powers) when Lyta "woke up" one of the telepaths they were experimenting on in medlab. I feel like there have been similar scenes, but I can't say exactly which episodes.

Anyway

I like the bits with Luchenko. I agree with Estelyn that that character is well-written and well-played, as seen in the different ways she communicates with the press, Sheridan, or anyone else.

Delenn does make an excellent point about Marcus' death. But I still can't help but mope around sadly for a good while whenever I watch this episode.

I always like a G'Kar/Londo scene, but that eye bit, ehh.. Newly enlightened G'Kar is a creeper?