B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   Non-B5 books, TV & films (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Dollhouse (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=10458)

KoshFan November 1st 07 02:45

Dollhouse

Joss Whedon -- the creator of Buffy and Firefly -- has a new TV show in the works. He's teaming up with Tim Minear, his partner in crime on Firefly, and Eliza Dushku, who played Faith on Buffy and is a) quite the actress and b) a real cutie (check out this thread over in NC17 for pics: http://b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=10051).

It's only just been announced, no word yet on when it will be released, and it's going to be on Fox so expect it to last a few seconds. But they should be good seconds.

vacantlook November 1st 07 04:07

Re: New Joss Whedon show

Any hint as to what the show's about?

darth_librarian November 1st 07 09:06

Eliza Dushku is fine.

Why is he still with Fox ?

Chilli November 1st 07 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by darth_librarian (Post 311911)

I don't think he has much of a choice there.

Anyways .. good news, also if it only lasts a few seconds :D .. while I'm not too huge a fan of Eliza Dushku (she truely annoyed me as Faith in the early seasons .. I got to learn to stand her later on, though) .. anything touched by Joss Whedon = worth the time.

Kribu November 1st 07 11:33

This should provide some information (about what the show is about and apparently there is already a seven episode commitment).

Good news indeed, I suppose - I can't say the description interests me, but anything Whedon would at least be worth checking out. It might be a pleasant surprise.

Chilli November 1st 07 14:46

Dollhouse it is, then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kribu (Post 311916)
Good news indeed, I suppose - I can't say the description interests me, but anything Whedon would at least be worth checking out. It might be a pleasant surprise.

Seems to be a trend with Whedon shows :D .. I did not touch Buffy for years as the premise just sounded so stupid to me.

And neither Angel nor Firefly had a premise that looked in any way interesting on paper.

God knows what will happen if Whedon ever makes a show out of a GOOD concept :p

Recoil November 1st 07 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by darth_librarian (Post 311911)

I read an interesting article about this. Some folks in TV, if they are good enough, get signed to "Exclusive" contracts with TV networks. Tim Minear is one of those people. Fox has him under an exclusive contract, so whatever shows he comes up with, it is for Fox --- he has no option to shop around. That is why Drive was on Fox, and that is why his new show is on Fox.

Now I don't know of Joss has an exclusive deal with Fox either, but its possible he might because Firefly was his last TV stint.

So its on Fox more than likely because it has to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chilli
And neither Angel nor Firefly had a premise that looked in any way interesting on paper.

This, more than any other reason, is why I think Joss's TV shows like Firefly fail --- and I don't entirely blame the networks.

Joss is a brilliant guy. He can come up with ANY idea and turn it into an amazing TV show. His problem is that he comes up with concepts that are HARD TO MARKET to Average Joe Citizen.

Take Firefly on paper. Ok, its a show that takes place in space in the future (sci-fi) yet deals with people being out on the "frontier" (western) and has elements of Drama, Government conspiracies, action and comedy all rolled in. If you are a TV executive who sees a description of this show come across your plate, and its your job to come up with an Ad campaign to get people interested in watching it, HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO IT?!?!

Firefly caught on with the Joss fans....but it needed to have MORE fans than that to succeed. It was a hard show to market. It needed to be allowed to grow (like it has on DVD sales).

So I can only wonder what the concept of this new show will be and if there will be enough buzz to get people into it, AND if Fox realizes that Joss has some skills because Firefly did well and was turned into a movie that they could have gotten a profit off of if they were smart....and will let his show have a bit of a chance this time.

Either way good news.

Oh, and Eliza is in my Top 5, so I'm happy about that. :)

Chilli November 2nd 07 01:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recoil (Post 311928)
This, more than any other reason, is why I think Joss's TV shows like Firefly fail --- and I don't entirely blame the networks.

Neither do I.

But I do entirely blame networks for only thinking about this AFTER they've commissioned a show, started producing it, got their (GOOD) results, but .. before they even tried airing it.

I do understand that TV is, basically, a business like any other. In any other business, indecisive stupidity like that would get you sacked. :D

hypatia November 2nd 07 02:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilli (Post 311933)
I do understand that TV is, basically, a business like any other. In any other business, indecisive stupidity like that would get you sacked. :D

If you were a business CEO, you'd be getting a million dollar bonus for it, instead. ;)

All joking aside, perhaps there is a bit of a link between the truly horrifying stupidity of a business CEO and this American television lack of patience with a new series. Both are now focussed almost exclusively on making not just profit, but massive profits.

KoshFan November 2nd 07 04:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recoil (Post 311928)
I read an interesting article about this. Some folks in TV, if they are good enough, get signed to "Exclusive" contracts with TV networks. Tim Minear is one of those people. Fox has him under an exclusive contract, so whatever shows he comes up with, it is for Fox --- he has no option to shop around. That is why Drive was on Fox, and that is why his new show is on Fox.

Now I don't know of Joss has an exclusive deal with Fox either, but its possible he might because Firefly was his last TV stint.

So its on Fox more than likely because it has to be.

More to the point, Eliza's got an exclusive deal with Fox; they want her to star in a show, she got Joss involved because he's the best show-maker she knew. It's her gig as much as his, and if it's hers it has to be on Fox.

As to the growth/profits issue: M*A*S*H* had pretty bad ratings its first season, and that was when it was only up against two other channels! That's as good a reason as any for allowing shows some time... but that doesn't really make sense to the suits these days, because we live in an instant-gratification culture.