B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.FAQ (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   JMS approved Chronological viewing order (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=45825)

Looney June 16th 18 20:12

Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order
 
Okay, I have slowed down a little bit, but I just finished Eyes, 1.16. I have to say that knowing where the story is headed I really feel putting this episode a little closer to the end of the season puts a bit more spin on Sinclair leaving and Sheridan coming into replace him. I almost wish Sheridan would turn out to be dirty. LOL :guffaw:

I REALLY wish Harriman Gray had returned, and not just because I love Jeffrey Combs. I think having a Psi Corps character who is possibly more devoted to Earth Force than the Psi Corps is a VERY interesting dynamic that would have been an excellent avenue to explore.

So as I will likely say many more times, this watch order is REALLY paying off IMHO. It is weird, but I feel like this watch order is steadily increasing the tension over all the episodes with more of a snowball effect than the original episode order. Having Signs and Portents, 1.13, a bit later in the season really helps give it that effect.

Looney June 21st 18 04:11

Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order
 
Finished Chrysalis, "Nothing's the same anymore." I think this is the way I will watch Season One from now on. :thumbsup:

Got through Points of Departure 2.1. Can't wait to see what the changes do for Season 2.

;)

b5historyman June 21st 18 10:56

Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Looney (Post 460772)
Okay, I have slowed down a little bit, but I just finished Eyes, 1.16. I have to say that knowing where the story is headed I really feel putting this episode a little closer to the end of the season puts a bit more spin on Sinclair leaving and Sheridan coming into replace him. I almost wish Sheridan would turn out to be dirty. LOL :guffaw:

I REALLY wish Harriman Gray had returned, and not just because I love Jeffrey Combs. I think having a Psi Corps character who is possibly more devoted to Earth Force than the Psi Corps is a VERY interesting dynamic that would have been an excellent avenue to explore.

So as I will likely say many more times, this watch order is REALLY paying off IMHO. It is weird, but I feel like this watch order is steadily increasing the tension over all the episodes with more of a snowball effect than the original episode order. Having Signs and Portents, 1.13, a bit later in the season really helps give it that effect.

I'd like to think that Harriman did get to join EarthForce after the Corps was disbanded.

Looney June 29th 18 03:03

Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b5historyman (Post 460787)

I'd like to think that Harriman did get to join EarthForce after the Corps was disbanded.

Yes that is a pleasant way to envision his future. He is definitely a guest star with an expanded universe story I would love to see, but then again I feel that way about almost every guest star. :lol:

So I just watched A Race Through Dark Places, 2.8 followed by Soul Mates, 2.7 and I have to say I really like this dynamic shift for Talia. I know A Race Through Dark Places is perhaps a larger scope story for her so having the smaller B plot for Soul Mates come first seems more logical, but I think this way works better. First she finds out about Psi Corps then she deals with the possibility of a way out. Plus it puts a FAR more sinister twist into why Stoner shows up on B5. It tells the audience that maybe Bester didn't entirely believer her when he left at the end of A Race Through Dark Places, so maybe he suggested it would be to Stoner's advantage to go to B5 and check things out. It just gels together very well. :thumbsup:

b5historyman June 29th 18 14:55

Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Looney (Post 460831)
Quote:

Originally Posted by b5historyman (Post 460787)

I'd like to think that Harriman did get to join EarthForce after the Corps was disbanded.

Yes that is a pleasant way to envision his future. He is definitely a guest star with an expanded universe story I would love to see, but then again I feel that way about almost every guest star. :lol:

So I just watched A Race Through Dark Places, 2.8 followed by Soul Mates, 2.7 and I have to say I really like this dynamic shift for Talia. I know A Race Through Dark Places is perhaps a larger scope story for her so having the smaller B plot for Soul Mates come first seems more logical, but I think this way works better. First she finds out about Psi Corps then she deals with the possibility of a way out. Plus it puts a FAR more sinister twist into why Stoner shows up on B5. It tells the audience that maybe Bester didn't entirely believer her when he left at the end of A Race Through Dark Places, so maybe he suggested it would be to Stoner's advantage to go to B5 and check things out. It just gels together very well. :thumbsup:

Always nice to see people picking up on these little things, shows they are really watching the show :)

Karajorma August 9th 18 09:29

Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order
 
The order for The Day of the Dead doesn't seem to be right. Lockley casually mentions the basis of her relationship with Sheridan and then right afterwards in Learning Curve that relationship gets mentioned as a mystery which is then explained in Strange Relations.


I can't see any reason why Day of the Dead should be so early in the list if it ruins that mystery. I know it's in the wrong place on the DVDs, but I would only move it forward one episode, so that it comes before Secrets of the Soul, not after it.

b5historyman August 10th 18 14:52

Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karajorma (Post 461095)
The order for The Day of the Dead doesn't seem to be right. Lockley casually mentions the basis of her relationship with Sheridan and then right afterwards in Learning Curve that relationship gets mentioned as a mystery which is then explained in Strange Relations.


I can't see any reason why Day of the Dead should be so early in the list if it ruins that mystery. I know it's in the wrong place on the DVDs, but I would only move it forward one episode, so that it comes before Secrets of the Soul, not after it.

It's in the right place. Lochley talks to Zoe about him, we as viewers know about it. No one else knows at this point.

Karajorma August 11th 18 10:53

Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order
 
[QUOTE=b5historyman;461098]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karajorma (Post 461095)
It's in the right place. Lochley talks to Zoe about him, we as viewers know about it. No one else knows at this point.

It really doesn't seem right. It's just "I got married, to that Sheridan guy" and then carried on with the episode. The revelation that two main characters were previously married just comes completely out of nowhere and then wanders back there again without any further reference to it.


And then only in the next episode do we even get a hint that Sheridan didn't tell Delenn and that this is something we should care about in the slightest.


Is there any reason why Day of the Dead has to come before Learning Curve? Cause I can't see one and it seems really odd for it to be there.

b5historyman August 12th 18 12:04

Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order
 
[QUOTE=Karajorma;461099]
Quote:

Originally Posted by b5historyman (Post 461098)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karajorma (Post 461095)
It's in the right place. Lochley talks to Zoe about him, we as viewers know about it. No one else knows at this point.

It really doesn't seem right. It's just "I got married, to that Sheridan guy" and then carried on with the episode. The revelation that two main characters were previously married just comes completely out of nowhere and then wanders back there again without any further reference to it.


And then only in the next episode do we even get a hint that Sheridan didn't tell Delenn and that this is something we should care about in the slightest.


Is there any reason why Day of the Dead has to come before Learning Curve? Cause I can't see one and it seems really odd for it to be there.

We as viewers have the foreknowledge, the characters don't. So it doesn't feel right to you, not my problem to be blunt. You watch it how you want to, this is the correct viewing order I busted my balls researching and it was given the authorisation of Joe himself. It isn't going to magically change place.

Karajorma August 13th 18 20:49

Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b5historyman (Post 461100)
We as viewers have the foreknowledge, the characters don't. So it doesn't feel right to you, not my problem to be blunt. You watch it how you want to, this is the correct viewing order I busted my balls researching and it was given the authorisation of Joe himself. It isn't going to magically change place.


I asked if there is any in universe reason why the episodes are in that order. When you moved the stuff around in Season 1, the building of the chrysalis was obvious proof that the episodes were out of order. I couldn't see any similar evidence that explains why Day of the Dead needs to jump so far forwards and I can see lots of evidence against it. I assumed you had seen something I missed and would be willing to explain, if you're not, fine.


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:22.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2018 B5TV.COM