• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: The War Prayer

Infection

• A -- Excellent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D -- Poor

• F -- Failure

• Total voters
I thought "The War Prayer" was an ok episode -- not great, but not sucky either.

There are some moments I really, really like though. For example, I loved the scene in the medlab where Londo tells Shaal Mayan that Aria and Kiron will get over wanting love, and Shaal Mayan replies to Londo, "Just as you did." It's a striking character moment for me. Shaal Mayan felt a wee bit bland for much of the episode, but this moment for her and Londo was superb.

The bringing of Human hostility toward aliens is of course seemingly decent on being somewhat stand-alone, but it is great in setting up for the movement of some Humans in the future of the show to become aggressively isolationistic.

I liked the introduction of the Abbai and personally wish they were a background alien that hadn't been abandoned; I thought they looked rather interesting and that they had potential to pop up here and there and would have looked nice as one of the more prominent lesser races in the coalition against the Shadows.

Since this is the episode that I took my screen name from I must give this one and A all around the board .With the downside being of course is that Mayan is not seen again in the series .Disapointing since she is supposed to be from what I gather a good friend of Delenn's. :(

She is mentioned again though, but I can't remember which episode it is that this mentioning is in.

This is the ep that convinced me that B5 was worth watching, because of it's choice of topics, and it's position and treatment of them.

She is mentioned again though, but I can't remember which episode it is that this mentioning is in.

Yeah, she is, but I don't remember the details. I do seem to remember either Lennier or Delenn talking to Garibaldi in the episode EYES asking that she have better security than she did in her last visit.

This is obviously a personal thing, but this is the first episode of B5 that does absolutely nothing for me. For some reason I don't care about the Minbari poet. I'm not interested in the eloping Centauri couple. I'm not interested in Ivanova's ex or his strange accent. I even find it hard to get enthusiastic about an idea that should be cool like black-light camouflage. The plot twist is obvious, the acting isn't the worst seen in B5 but it's not the best. There are perhaps a few good scenes between Londo and Vir that develop their relationship further, and a good shootout at the end, but that's it. Instantly forgettable. Luckily And the Sky Full of Stars is next..

The episode's importance lies in its introduction to the anti-alien sentiment of Earth.

It was actually hinted at in the first episode on the news casts for Santiago's re-election; they mentioned putting "earth first" or something like that. It seemed completely innocent at the time.

Yeah, the poet and especially the couple were annoying, but they were something for the main characters to play off of, especially Londo and his too-tight shoes. Some important character insight there.

Actor note: Winnie Cooper was the Centauri girl. ;)

An average epsiode.
I do remember the 1st time seeing it that I was shocked for a moment at Sinclair's treatment of the Abatti ambassador.
Didn't the Abatti show up again in Deathwalker?

Yes, G'Kar contacts the Abbai ambassador and informs her of Sinclair's having Deathwalker in custody in order to cause a stir that would prevent Sinclair from removing Jha'dur to Earth.

I liked this episode a lot. I don't know exactly why, but something in this episode, maybe the setting or situations themselves do this, but as a whole, this is one of my favorite episodes from this season. I must give an "excellent" rating to this one. Just because I like it so much. Partially the reasons behind my choice are unknown even to me... so, don't ask furthermore explanation about this. :LOL:

Yeah, she is, but I don't remember the details. I do seem to remember either Lennier or Delenn talking to Garibaldi in the episode EYES asking that she have better security than she did in her last visit.

Look at me quoting myself! :LOL:

I'm watching Eyes right now, and Lennier goes to speak to Garibaldi on behalf of Delenn to request extra security for Shaal Mayan's next visit to the station. ;)

I sometimes wonder if there are any minor characters like Shaal Mayan that jms has thoughts about more that happens with them in the universe that just never gets told (and most likely never would get told) but that still floats around in his head.

Shaal Mayan is probably referenced in a Universe Today headline. Those headlines spoke volumes.

VL, that's a good question. I wonder how David MacIntrye fared as a resistance leader on Narn, and what he did after Narn was freed. Somehow I envision him in the Rangers eventually. And did the Cassandra-esque Lady Ladira survive the various upheavals of Centauri Prime? For that matter, did Vir's wife Lindisty -- and did she and Vir ever get married? Vir's star was on the rise again in Season 5 as the replacement ambassador to B5, and while that position was not as big as it was with the IA taking over, it was still better than being diplomatic envoy to Minbar, which was enough to get him engaged in the first place.

Of course Vir had his pick of women as Emperor, but I like to think that he tried to get Lindisty to change.

I wonder how David MacIntrye fared as a resistance leader on Narn, and what he did after Narn was freed.

He's a character I, too, wonder about. I totally loved his connection to G'Kar. Perhaps if he did become a Ranger, which does seem like it would fit him well, he went back to Narn in the years afterward and used connections he made while there to begin training some Narn as Rangers.

For that matter, did Vir's wife Lindisty -- and did she and Vir ever get married?

I can't ever see Vir actually liking Lyndisty after finding out what she did.

KoshFan, have you read the Centauri trilogy? There are considerably developments for Vir's character in those novels, including in the area of love interests.

Oh, yes, I did -- but if Londo is anything to go by, the Centauri play things a little fast and loose. And Vir's last words with Lyndisty suggested to me that he liked her and wanted to change her -- but of course she felt the same way, and that's never a promising start to a relationship.

I figure that with Vir getting together with whom he starts to get with at the very end of the trilogy that any thoughts getting back with Lyndisty would be evaporated right out of his head.

Considering this thread references both The War Prayer and the Centauri trilogy, I'm surprised no one mentioned the "Black Light Camoflage". Although this technology would be very useful in any number of situations, it was never seen again in the show (probably JMS killing off the Deus Ex Machina, and also not wanting someone running around invisible like Frodo).

However, in the Trilogy, a former B5 castmember was in possession of a Drahk invisibility device, which earned him the nickname of "The Ghost". So why was this such a big deal when Earth had possessed similar technology at least 5 years earlier?

Oh, and Tristan Rogers' (Robert Scorpio to all you old General Hospital watchers out there) accent is what we call Australian.

Well, as I recall, the invisibility camo only worked while the people in question were standing still, while the Drakh cloak worked (more or less) while its wearer was moving.

Besides, there might actually be a Shadow technology connection, and we don't know all the ins and outs of that yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Back