• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Crusade: Patterns Of The Soul

Patterns Of The Soul

• A -- Excellent

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • B -- Good

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • C -- Average

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • D -- Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F -- Failure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
'B' - It was nice seeing the link to Earthforce Black Projects, and to see Brian Thompson not in his stereotypical bad guy role (e.g. Cobra, The X-Files, etc.), but instead as a rather put-upon good guy, trying to take care of his people.

This episode seems to mark a turning point for Max. There's open hostility toward him from Dr. Chambers, and in the end, even though under pressure to report more to IPX, he deletes his last entry in the report and does not tell IPX about the discovery of some of Dureena's race on Theta 49.

This episode also has Dr. Chambers estimating that Dureena's race on Theta 49 have one year to live, not five years. I wonder if the cure that would have been found in mid-Season 2 would have saved Dureena's people as well (assuming that the cure they found, the REAL cure, wasn't as Dr. Franklin described in "Each Night I Dream of Home" - A cure that saves guinea pigs saves only guinea pigs.).

Last edited:
It's a reasonable episode. I only really have two complaints. Firstly that it's really dark. Literally really dark. Deliberately so, no doubt, but my eyes end up begging for some relief every time I watch it.

The other is that the Xander-Prime elder tells Dureena that their story is a long and difficult one, and then promptly tells it in about 20 seconds flat!

Does anyone else think the Qual'tham, the raider-battlewagon type ship that is transporting Dureena's people as slaves, is supposed to be a Narn vessel? Aside from the Narn-sounding name, it also seems to have Narn markings. If so it would be a nice touch, the Narn doing to others what the Centauri originally did to them.

It's a reasonable episode. I only really have two complaints. Firstly that it's really dark. Literally really dark. Deliberately so, no doubt, but my eyes end up begging for some relief every time I watch it.

Doesn't the whole thing take place at night on the planet?

The other is that the Xander-Prime elder tells Dureena that their story is a long and difficult one, and then promptly tells it in about 20 seconds flat!

Maybe he's not referring to the telling of the story or the complexity of the story. Maaaybe he's referring to their how long ago they were stranded on the planet and their struggle to survive there. They've been there for generations.

My one gripe is the Shadow Fighters having beam weapons in the flashback from probably 100 years ago. Either somebody at Netter Digital wasn't paying attention, or JMS threw us another curve.

Does anyone else think the Qual'tham, the raider-battlewagon type ship that is transporting Dureena's people as slaves, is supposed to be a Narn vessel? Aside from the Narn-sounding name, it also seems to have Narn markings. If so it would be a nice touch, the Narn doing to others what the Centauri originally did to them.

Wouldn't this be right around the same time that the Centaurii started to occupy Narn? It could be a Narn ship, but the Narn may have just been the owners of the ship and might have been contracted by the slave owners to supply transport.

It's an OK episode ... it felt a bit chaotic to me at times, and I'm still not a fan of the outdoors, on-planet scenes, but it's definitely not terrible.

I like the black projects stuff, shady stuff going on up high in Earth Force. Apparently not much has changed after Earth's civil war! I was also thinking how interesting it is that IPX is still the same clearly evil giant corporation after the end of the Shadow war and the Earth civil war, considering the stuff they were involved in.

This is the episode where Eilerson suddenly develops a conscience and deletes (part of) his report to his superiors at IPX headquarters. I still REALLY don't like him. He isn't some kind of failed academic who reluctantly works for the money-grubbing corporation, he is only interested in riches himself! Not sending the report is the decent thing to do, but it's really just the bare minimum. I'm hoping to see some change in his personality, although there aren't all that many episodes for that to happen in ...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back