• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS in movie re-write shocker !!

From

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3ib356467890c70c66f5453b8ea7d5fc00

via

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38938

J. Michael Straczynski, the writer of the Clint Eastwood-directed "Changeling," is penning a long-in-the-works update of sci-fi classic "Forbidden Planet" for Warner Bros. Joel Silver is producing via Silver Pictures.

Warners picked up the project on the down-low earlier this year. As late as last year, it was set up at DreamWorks with David Twohy attached to direct. Prior to that, New Line had it. James Cameron, Nelson Gidding and Stirling Silliphant have been associated with the remake over the years.

Released in 1956, "Planet" told the tale of an expedition sent from Earth to check on a colony of scientists on a far-off planet. They find two members, a man who has found alien technology that doubled his intellect, Dr. Morbius, and his daughter, both of whom have managed to survive an unseen monster roaming the planet.

The movie, directed by Fred Wilcox, starred Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis and Leslie Nielsen, but is perhaps best known for the character Robbie the Robot.

Matt Reilly is overseeing for the studio.

While CAA-repped Straczynski is generating some heat for "Changeling," he is better known for his sci-fi and comic book work. He created TV shows "Babylon 5" and "Jeremiah," and worked on "Ninja Assassin" for Silver and the Wachowski Brothers.

Straczynski also has feature projects "The Flickering Light" and "Lensman" with Ron Howard at Imagine Entertainment, and "They Marched Into Sunlight," with Paul Greengrass directing, at Playtone and Universal.

Also outlines all of his current movie projects, except World War Z. Busy guy.

Not too sure about this, its' on my list of movies that never need to be remade, even if it is JMS

Odd, I'd think of Forbidden Planet as a film that was excellently acted in its day, but could seriously stand an updating. That is after all why it's such a funny movie: it's quite dated in its characterizations.

The trouble I'd have is appreciating a new ending. The original's ending is so classic, and so perfect, but it's hardly a new or groundshaking concept these days.

I'll be interesting to see a crew that isn't all male, though. There is no reason not to have a crew that is more balanced, even if you want to keep the "they are the first young men she's ever seen" angle.

So, this could be very interesting. But I agree with you that it's always tricky to remake a true classic.

Well, if they must remake it, at least JMS will give them a script that's pretty respectful.

What they'll do with it after he writes it, I shudder to think.

Odd, I'd think of Forbidden Planet as a film that was excellently acted in its day, but could seriously stand an updating. That is after all why it's such a funny movie: it's quite dated in its characterizations.

I think that like the original Trek, it has some of the values of its time, and for that reason alone should be left un-done. I also love the designs, effects and production values. For me, it would be like remaking Gone with the wind.

Just like any other remake I have no problem with this one. Remakes are a part of creative storytelling, always have been, always will be. People scream for originality in Hollywood, while ignoring that at least 95%, probably more, of movies made are remakes, sequels, based on novels, comics, true stories, short stories, etc.. Even movies that appear to be original borrow liberally from movies that have come before. That's the way storytelling works, stories are told again in different formats and in different ways.

Yeah, but the general trend has been to remake good movies and make them much, much worse. I think people are mostly fed up with that.

Yeah, but the general trend has been to remake good movies and make them much, much worse. I think people are mostly fed up with that.

I've always thought that remakes are just like any other movie, they can be good, or they can be bad. The Hills Have Eyes remake was vastly superior to the original, I thought The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was also a bit better than the original. There are remakes that are far worse than the original, but the opposite is true as well. In the end it all comes down to the individuals making the movies and not the fact that they are remakes in and of themselves.

Very true. You look up "perky" in the dictionary, and those crowd-pleasers are pictured there.

Well, the "Wonder Bra" is now available.:devil: And she could be "Gay". Never having seen another female.:devil:

Sounds interesting, but there is no way to update Anne Francis' tits. :D

No way? It'll certainly be a casting challenge.

Very true. You look up "perky" in the dictionary, and those crowd-pleasers are pictured there.

:D Hmm, who could do it, today, sans artificial support? Lizzy Caplan? (Check her out in "True Blood." ;) :D ) Another very good choice, though with a smaller set of boobs, is Zooey Deschanel.

Well, the "Wonder Bra" is now available.:devil: And she could be "Gay". Never having seen another female.:devil:

Way to ruin a perfectly good image. Gay? Perish the thought! Ugh!

Re: JMS Forbidden Planet Trilogy UPDATE

I don't have any information one way or another but the Latino Review article was citing text apparently at the end of the script. I suppose it's possible but I've never seen a script with an afterward. It sounded more like a treatment to me, perhaps.

Jan

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back