B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.world (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Illusion of Truth - Worst Episode? (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=10258)

garak0410 August 6th 07 14:35

The Illusion of Truth - Worst Episode?

Hello...

My wife and I are up to the episode "The Illusion of Truth" and while we find B5 one of the best TV shows ever, this episode was just horrible in our opinions, even worse than "Grey 17..." and "Infection." When they got to the newscast portion, it made its point in the first 2 minutes...to run the rest of the entire episode with what we already know is wrong was just boring. My wife said "I have no interest in this episode at all."

Are we the first to feel that way? Just wondering...not bashing the show at all...just found it to the the most "filler" episode ever.

vacantlook August 6th 07 14:48

Re: The Illusion of Truth - Worst Episode?

I like the episode, more or less. I don't think it's the greatest episode ever, or anything, but I like it. I do enjoy the ending with the reactions from Sheridan and crew after the broadcast ends; the use of no words 'bout sums it up.

garak0410 August 6th 07 14:54

Yeah...the ending was good but the presentation of the propaganda was really boring and the point was already made.

Oh, side note, should we watch Thirsdpace next?

Jan August 6th 07 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by garak0410 (Post 305365)
My wife and I are up to the episode "The Illusion of Truth" and while we find B5 one of the best TV shows ever, this episode was just horrible in our opinions, even worse than "Grey 17..." and "Infection." When they got to the newscast portion, it made its point in the first 2 minutes...to run the rest of the entire episode with what we already know is wrong was just boring. My wife said "I have no interest in this episode at all."

I thought it was a brilliant episode and should be required viewing in every grade school to show people how easy it is to skew 'news' to push an agenda. There are so many examples of how creative editing was used that if you were bored, you really should go back and watch it again to see what you missed because the point wasn't just that what was filmed on the station could be twisted it was *how* and how easily it was done. I understand that it is being used in many university film classes.

I know I've never looked at a news broadcast the same way again since seeing that episode. I have to ask what agenda is getting pushed.

Jan

garak0410 August 6th 07 17:13

Yeah...I know where the episode was going...but I figured it out in 1 minute...didn't need the last 15 minutes to be the newscast...just an opinion...

On to the next episode...

maneth August 6th 07 18:50

It's certainly different and not really one of my favorites. However, it's very well done and in today's world where media bias is more or less taken for granted, even if the conservatives accuse the media of being too liberal, while the liberals accuse the very same media of being too conservative it's important viewing.

garak0410 August 6th 07 20:20

I did admire what it was going, just went on too long...

I am anxious how to see the rest of the series plays out...I was happy with the way Deep Space Nine ended and have high hopes for this show.

Sindatur August 6th 07 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by garak0410 (Post 305407)
I did admire what it was going, just went on too long...

I am anxious how to see the rest of the series plays out...I was happy with the way Deep Space Nine ended and have high hopes for this show.

Because of the fear of Cancellation at the end of S4, there are some things that conclude in S4, that should have flowed over a couple episodes into S5, and somethings that start from scratch (perhaps seeming a bit random to some) at the beginning of S5, that should have slowly started developing at the end of S4. So, you will find S4 ending like Gang busters, and perhaps may find S5 starting a little slow (as if starting all over again) that made some people believe JMS decided to force a S5. If you notice this slow patch in the beginning of S5, stick with it, and know that the transition of storylines should have been smoother if there wasn't a fear of cancellation at the end of S4, and know that S5 does pick back up, and become every bit as good as any of the other seasons. It was all intended to be there, just a smoother transition from S4 to S5.

RMcD August 6th 07 20:30

What I enjoy about this episode is just how twisted and plausible the alternative scenario presented by ISN is - and just when you think it can't get any worse, it does.

But as an episode it is kind of static. Literally actually, since the cameras are locked in place for much of it. And unlike And Now for a Word, which I do enjoy a lot, nothing particularly exciting happens while the reporters are on B5. So I think it works better on paper than it does as drama (IMO Deconstruction of Falling Stars, also directed by Stephen Furst, suffers from similar problems). This one basically serves as backdrop to what's going on, and sets up what's going to happen later, but doesn't do much in itself.

My vote for worst episode of all goes to Learning Curve, and my favourite is Shadow Dancing.

KoshN August 6th 07 21:31

As far as I'm concerned, "Believers" was the worst episode.