B5TV.COM

B5TV.COM (http://www.b5tv.com/index.php)
-   B5.reborn (http://www.b5tv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   B5 Reboot?? Is it true??!!?! (http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=46010)

deaded September 27th 21 21:04

B5 Reboot?? Is it true??!!?!

I'm pretty excited about this. I hope it's real!! Anyone else hear anything?

https://gizmodo.com/babylon-5-is-get...zyn-1847752907

Quote:

It’s time for one of the most beloved sci-fi classics of the ‘90s to come back—and the man behind it the first time around is back for more.

Variety reports that Warner Bros. has ordered a reboot of Babylon 5, produced and written by Straczynski as part of a deal between Warner Bros. TV and Straczynski’s Studio JMS. The series is not a continuation of the show, but a “from the ground up” reboot of the cult classic 1993 series, which ran across five seasons and seven made-for-TV movies until 1998. Set in a future where humanity has gone into the stars and found a plethora of alien civilizations to attempt to live in harmony, Babylon 5 followed Earthforce officer John Sheridan (Bruce Boxleitner) as he took command of the titular space station Babylon 5, a hub for diplomatic meetings, trade negotiations, and eventually a staging ground among renewed conflicts between the civilizations of the world and even humanity’s own descent into totalitarianism.

The series was beloved for its dark sci-fi plots and its approach to a massive, intertwined narrative over the course of its seasons and movies—and spinoffs like the TNT series Crusade—to tell a long form story, rather than plots-of-the-week, with iconic alien characters like Mira Furlan’s Delenn and Andreas Katsulas’ petty villain turned spiritual figure G’Kar. Although the series came to an end in 1998, it inspired a whole universe of tie-in novels, and its influence can be felt everywhere from the likes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine to Straczynski’s own work collaborating with the Wachowskis on Sense8.

We’ll bring you more on the CW’s plans for Babylon 5 as and when we learn them.
edit... oops, didn't see Jan posted same thing in a different forum, sorry.

Ubik September 27th 21 21:59

Re: B5 Reboot?? Is it true??!!?!

Yup, there's an active thread in the B5.Related topic! Some discussion going already!

deaded September 27th 21 22:53

Link to the other thread...

http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=46009

Recoil September 28th 21 22:02

Well, looks like I have to dust off my old account and get back into things! There is B5 content incoming!

From JMS himself on Twitter. His thread:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...221043202?s=20
https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...221043202?s=20

What other First Ones are still poking around on here after all this time?

deaded September 28th 21 23:21

… and so it begins…

vacantlook September 29th 21 01:16

I'm cool with having a thread on this topic in this forum too, so no worries deaded.

Sinclair October 1st 21 03:05

Welcome back Recoil! Good to see you again!

Markas October 4th 21 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recoil (Post 465280)
Well, looks like I have to dust off my old account and get back into things! There is B5 content incoming!

There's a blast from the past. I suddenly got this image when I saw your post:

https://geekoutsw.files.wordpress.co...face.jpg?w=640

Chilli October 4th 21 21:28

Who does that make me?

Markas October 4th 21 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilli (Post 465418)
Who does that make me?

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...0/gg1CZ9dA.jpg

:lol:

RW7427 October 5th 21 02:50

Wow, this has brought back quite a few old faces. :D

hypatia October 5th 21 05:04

It would be nice to see a reboot of B5. And yes, it has brought back quite a few First Ones.

deaded October 9th 21 21:22

Wow, nice to see people back!

(I use the term "people" loosely)

Sinclair October 9th 21 21:53

I wonder if we will see a reappearance of Joe DeMartino....

Recoil October 11th 21 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinclair (Post 465530)

Mr Morden himself. ;)

What about GKarsEye or Lyta? I think I'm still Facebook Friends with her (although I haven't used Facebook much in the last year and a half).

Lyta October 11th 21 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recoil (Post 465559)
What about GKarsEye or Lyta? I think I'm still Facebook Friends with her (although I haven't used Facebook much in the last year and a half).

Look who dragged me out from beyond the rim! I am all for coming back here and revitalizing this forum. Need to make it more mobile friendly. Let's see if I can remember how to post and crap. Let me know how I can help out again.

Sinclair October 12th 21 00:45

Quote:

Quote:

GKarsEye popped up maybe a year to two years ago, but I think he only posted once or twice.

RW7427 October 13th 21 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyta (Post 465560)
Quote:

Look who dragged me out from beyond the rim! I am all for coming back here and revitalizing this forum. Need to make it more mobile friendly. Let's see if I can remember how to post and crap. Let me know how I can help out again.

Nice to see your black eyes around this place again :lol:

Kyehlar October 14th 21 09:08

With all this mobile talk, I'm starting to think I'm the only one left that still uses a desktop to access message boards.

RW7427 October 14th 21 12:30

I still use my laptop to come here. But there is another board that I belong to that I can post at either on my laptop or on my phone.

darth_librarian October 14th 21 16:28

I would love a light touch overhaul, mobile especially.

hypatia October 14th 21 23:30

How are you paying for the site, these days? It is very enjoyable visiting a board that doesn't push ads.

Bester October 15th 21 12:19

Quote:

Quote:

Mr Morden himself. ;)

How about Maria, who used to hang out in the chat room? :)

KoshN October 15th 21 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyehlar (Post 465609)
With all this mobile talk, I'm starting to think I'm the only one left that still uses a desktop to access message boards.

I work sooooo much that I don't get time to even power up and shutdown my laptop PC. My only day off is Tuesday, and most times I have to work at least part of it, too, and I work on-call. My last three calls to work were ASAP calls. I had to do use the laptop PC on Tuesday Oct. 12 to pay the credit card bills. The battery was dead. It was the first time I'd turned it on in 2 monrhs! Last time, I'd paid the whole balance on both cards, so nothing was due last month.

That's why I'm using my smartphone to type my posts. I can leave for work almost instantly, and the phone is always with me.

KoshN October 15th 21 17:20

Quote:

Oh, there's a name I haven't heard in ages, maybe not since my rastb5m (rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated) days.

RW7427 October 17th 21 01:58

Did Maria live in someplace like New Mexico? I think I remember her.

Looney October 18th 21 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyehlar (Post 465609)

I too still use a laptop for my visits. Might be switching back to a desktop soon. :thumbsup:

deaded October 24th 21 07:36

Would it be too soon (and in bad taste) to start a NO BYRON petition for the new series?

Jan October 24th 21 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by deaded (Post 465798)
Would it be too soon (and in bad taste) to start a NO BYRON petition for the new series?

This is what JMS wrote when asked for something to be includede in the series. Probably asking him to not include something would get a similar answer:

Quote:

The creative process is not a lego set...I go where each story takes me, I don't decide ahead of time what components to plug into which gears.
:p

babylonfan October 24th 21 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 465799)
This is what JMS wrote when asked for something to be includede in the series. Probably asking him to not include something would get a similar answer:

Quote:

The creative process is not a lego set...I go where each story takes me, I don't decide ahead of time what components to plug into which gears.

Does that imply that the bee B5 is not going to be as pre-planned as the original B5? More a BSG style of “kind a sort a knowing how to end, but how we get there is anyone’s guess”?

What I wonder is how much of the original story lines make it to the reboot. Could this reboot for instance skip the shadow war, but go straight to the civil war leading into the telepath war? The telepath war might be easier for the audience to relate to, with the privacy concerns and deep-fakes that are a growing concern in real life.

RW7427 October 25th 21 03:15

Quote:

Nope! :lol:

Springer October 25th 21 10:52

Quote:

He doesn't have to be written the same way. On the face of it, an embittered, rogue Psi Cop trying to save his people sounds like an interesting character.

Markas October 26th 21 20:45

Quote:

A name I haven't thought of for some time. He was last seen around this place about 14 years ago.

KoshFan October 27th 21 03:56

That long? But then, I've been gone some of that time myself.

But that's about a third of my life -- and yet I remember Joe. Strange, how time passes... and yet doesn't pass altogether.

RW7427 October 27th 21 04:26

14 years ago I was turning 40 :lol:

Looney October 31st 21 21:25

Agreed that on paper Byron was a great idea that could have set things up nicely, but in practice didn't quite work as well as he could have. I don't think we were meant to fall in love with Byron, but I think we were meant to sympathize with him more than most people do. I think the plot is brilliant with regards to how it worked with Lyta. Lyta's arc is one of my favorite of the series. I REALLY didn't like how she handled things at the end, but that is also what makes her arc so great and also so tragic. She shouldn't have felt the way she felt because she should have been treated better than she was treated. It is also tragic because it was basically left open ended and we knew there was supposed to be more to come. (Is that the twentieth time I have explained that opinion.) :guffaw:

And as far as old names stopping by for a visit, what is going on?! I thought I successfully scared everyone away!!!!!! :wtf: :devil:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

RW7427 October 31st 21 22:21

Looney, I have been posting with Crazybillyo in the Babbleon forum for the last 20 years. After doing that no one here can scare me away. :lol:

Springer November 1st 21 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looney (Post 465944)
Agreed that on paper Byron was a great idea that could have set things up nicely, but in practice didn't quite work as well as he could have. I don't think we were meant to fall in love with Byron, but I think we were meant to sympathize with him more than most people do. I think the plot is brilliant with regards to how it worked with Lyta. Lyta's arc is one of my favorite of the series. I REALLY didn't like how she handled things at the end, but that is also what makes her arc so great and also so tragic. She shouldn't have felt the way she felt because she should have been treated better than she was treated. It is also tragic because it was basically left open ended and we knew there was supposed to be more to come. (Is that the twentieth time I have explained that opinion.) :guffaw:

Remember that the rumour was that there were two projects in the works – the reboot is obviously one, but there was also the animated project - if that goes ahead then that could be the perfect opportunity to tie up Lyta's story!

Looney November 2nd 21 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by RW7427 (Post 465945)
Looney, I have been posting with Crazybillyo in the Babbleon forum for the last 20 years. After doing that no one here can scare me away. :lol:

Yeah even I avoid that thread and I am loony. .... I mean Looney. :guffaw:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Springer (Post 465954)

Remember that the rumour was that there were two projects in the works – the reboot is obviously one, but there was also the animated project - if that goes ahead then that could be the perfect opportunity to tie up Lyta's story!

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOPE THIS HAPPENS!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Jan November 2nd 21 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looney (Post 465965)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Springer (Post 465954)

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOPE THIS HAPPENS!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Keep in mind that the animation project hasn't been confirmed. It's based on what a fan was told after some former crew people had a discussion with JMS. Possible 'game or telephone' or possibly perfectly accurate. Time will tell.